in need of advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RevLine

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a 3 gallon moderately planted tank with 1 betta, 1 ghost shrimp, and 2 common guppies. everyone has been living peacefully with each other for 2 months up until about a week ago.

my betta started making bubble nests near the back of the tank and would occasionally chase down the two guppies for a few seconds about every 10 minutes. then he swims back up to his bubble nest. he never did this before he made the bubble nests, even when the guppies are swimming in his face. he completely ignores the shrimp.

my notion is that his instincts are telling him to protect the nest. understandable, but should i be concerned for the health of the guppies? they resume to act normally after the chase, swimming together and picking at stuff, and no damage has been observed to their bodies or fins after a week. they still eat eagerly as well.

there are times where my betta would stop building his nest, swim around the tank and ignore them as much as the shrimp.

TL;DR - betta chases 2 guppies only when bubble nest is being built. are my guppies in danger? no damage noted on them so far after a week.

Bettas are very territorial especially in a small tank like that. I would rehome the guppies before they get bullied any more.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yikes =/ I guess it doesn't help that they're always constantly swimming out in the open and not hiding lol. unfortunately I don't have an immediate new home (as in with a filter and heater) for them at the moment.. any humane way to stifle any aggression?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yikes =/ I guess it doesn't help that they're always constantly swimming out in the open and not hiding lol. unfortunately I don't have an immediate new home (as in with a filter and heater) for them at the moment.. any humane way to stifle any aggression?

See if the LFS will take them back or set up minimum a 20 gallon for them and you could get more.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Actually, upon water changes my Betta goes back into docile mode when the bubble nest separates. is it bad or stressful to mess up his hard work just to keep him from becoming aggressive?

And yeah if worse comes to worst, I might just give the guppies away if keeping him from building his nest turns out not to be a good idea =[

Actually, upon water changes my Betta goes back into docile mode when the bubble nest separates. is it bad or stressful to mess up his hard work just to keep him from becoming aggressive?

And yeah if worse comes to worst, I might just give the guppies away if keeping him from building his nest turns out not to be a good idea =[

naw, he'll just make another one.

The betta is now settled in and looking to claim territory. 3 gallons is too small for it by itself. The guppies are probably only making it worse. Don't see the aggression going away on it's own. Keep the guppies and get the suggested minimum 5 gal for the Betta.

The betta is now settled in and looking to claim territory. 3 gallons is too small for it by itself. The guppies are probably only making it worse. Don't see the aggression going away on it's own. Keep the guppies and get the suggested minimum 5 gal for the Betta.

a betta is better for a 3 gal then guppys.... really dont know what your going off here.

well not neccesarily, ive read a bit on bettas and lots of people say 3 gallons is fine, as long as you maintain water quality. though of course bigger is always better. i had a betta in a 60 community and it looked hilarious (that being a betta in a 60 compared to a betta usually seen in a bowl or cup)

I do 50% water changes every week. Not much of a hassle since tank size is small. And the guppies were only about half an inch, not full grown.

So far my betta is behaving. All I did was increase surface agitation to deter him from blowing bubbles. However, I just might donate my guppy to a the LFS. I think it's his constant active swimming that's bothering the betta.

Back
Top Bottom