In need of small water moving device.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Markstanfill

Aquarium Advice Activist
Experiments, they keep the interest alive I say. Anyway, I started a little emersed tank just to see how it would work. I am always cheap when it comes to first time things just in case I dont like it or it doesnt work it doesnt cost much. So I bought a bag of potting soil and dumped it in a 10g tank, wallowed out a portion for a small pool, and filled it to the bank. Planted a clone of a water wisteria and red ludwigia, and tossed in some duckweed and a snippet of java moss. Anyway, I cant use an in tank pump because the water volume is so small, and If i could, it would stir that ever loving potting topsoil. So, my question is, if I snag an air pump and just bury an airstone in the bed would I get enough water moved to turn the tank over at least say twice a day. Three gallons of water are approximately in the tank, and the airstone would do basically nothing except bubble up to the surface of the bed of soil in the corner. Any better ideas? Hope I explained it well enough. My camera is dead so I cant post a pic, and I dont know if I really want to. Its a mess really.

Have you thought about capping off the soil with something like fluorite or even a dark colored gravel? A word of caution make sure you keep and eye for anaerobic pockets.

I'd love to see pics! are you kidding us!!
We love dirty things!!! A picture would definately help but I'm not convinced that an airstone would turn water over enough. Are you planning on putting fish in it at some point or is it solely for the plants?
Sounds like a fun project!

Sounds like it could be cool. I would buy the smallest pump I could find and put some rocks and a waterfall in there.

Allright, so its really dirty like I said, but here it is. If I can get growth, then Ill re do it with something that wont leech into the water, and actually do some decorating. The airstone I decided to just throw into the middle of the pool where it could actually grab some water. If I re do it with some effort, then I might build a rock sump in the rear where one of those little terrarium pumps could sit, maybe take a hose off of it and do a waterfall down some river stones. Possibilities.
24256-albums713-picture5373.jpg

Java moss, Red ludwigia, Water wisteria, Duckweed.

My experimental plant growout tank has no pump at all .... (trying to "go Dutch") ... seems to be working fine so far. The water is much clearer as there is nothing stirring things up. <no fish in tank tho.>

But I think your idea of a mini-water fall using the little terrarium pump is a great idea. You can do a mini-pond scape, maybe a dwarf frog .....

Its a cool idea. If you did a waterfall you could put the little pump in a small cup with little holes to let water in but not so much debris. I like where your going with this. Keep the pic coming. Look to pond supplies for ideas. You could use any plant that likes to have its "feet" wet.

Back
Top Bottom