In need of some algae eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afink1

Aquarium Advice Activist
If u have read my info... I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 large plecos, an albino rainbow shark, my angel, and 3 random male balloon mollies (which will be moved to the 30 gallon soon). However, my plecos are just not doing it with the the algae control. I do my tank cleanings too but what are some idea for a good algae eater with my rainbow shark?

I use oto’s in a planted tank. Might depend on what sort of algae you have / how quickly growing. I find these fish great for cleaning plants but green algae on glass still needs cleaning off every couple of weeks. If you are getting a lot of algae I would reduce lighting intensity / time period.

I use oto’s in a planted tank. Might depend on what sort of algae you have / how quickly growing. I find these fish great for cleaning plants but green algae on glass still needs cleaning off every couple of weeks. If you are getting a lot of algae I would reduce lighting intensity / time period.
I am only getting a lot of algae on the back side of the tank. I did clean it up tho. I will change the lighting. ?

Have you tried snails? Ive always had good experiences with them and they deep clean the tank.

Too small on phone for me :(
Dang... Well from the link u sent me it looks like brown algae. Says ammonia can cause it but I checked all my values and everything is in normal limits. Are there any snails that can safely be with my shark and angel. I don't want to put something in there that will killed.

No sure on others but all snails have been fine with angelfish for me. They seem to attack more upwards at a guess.

If u have read my info... I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 large plecos, an albino rainbow shark, my angel, and 3 random male balloon mollies (which will be moved to the 30 gallon soon). However, my plecos are just not doing it with the the algae control. I do my tank cleanings too but what are some idea for a good algae eater with my rainbow shark?
I posted a comment to someone not so long ago with the quote from the book titled "everybody poops". Algae eaters do too. All fish waste eventually turns into nitrate which is plant food. Algae eaters, Plecos, snails, etc. produce as much algae as they eat. One thing I recommend is for you to find a house plant called Pothos, also known as devil's ive. Take about 8 to 10 cuttings about 10 inch long cutting and remove the leaves from the bottom 4 inches of each cutting a stick the leafless bottom through any openings you have in the back of the tank into the water. They look beautiful growing out of your tank, but more importantly, they root and grow sucking the nitrates out of the water to help inhibit algae growth. In the meantime, manually washing of the ornaments and glass scraping is still required. So are some frequent partial water changes are needed to lower your nitrates. Also when washing you ornaments or anything else associated with an aquarium, never use soap or detergents. Even minute amounts of unrinced soap is toxic to fish. Salt makes a good and safe scouring powder and rinces away well.

Back
Top Bottom