In your *edit*opinion.. what is the most sensitive fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My rainbows are usually a pretty indicator. Their colors tend to fade as my water quality does. Right after a PWC they are much more brilliant and will remain that way typically until they let me know that it's time for another. Gold barbs are also pretty sensitive to water quality and require very clean water to be at their best.

It seems like people consistently have trouble with rainbowfish and rams. Although I have heard the rams have been bred weak and the rainbowfish are prone to cotten mouth something or other so who knows if it's always water quality.

I have also heard the cardinal tetras and black ghosts are sensitive to water conditions but I have never kept either species.

Some books claim hatchetfish are good water quality indicator fish but I find them very hardy.

neon tetras (still having trouble :roll: , lost some to the dreaded NTD) and surprisingly, rosy barbs...
clown loaches are sensitive too(every single one caught ich in my tank or in the lfs tank), but once they get established, its party-time....

I would place Discus as #1, followed closely by German Blue Rams at #2. I would place oto's in third and then many of the African Cichlids (due only to water needs).

The most sensitive fish I've ever kept are blue rams. Of course, I've never kept discus though. :wink:

Hard to answer since I've never lost a fish to poor water quality. Probably discus which I've never kept and then rams but the only rams I lost were because of too much traffic by the tank and a surround sound system in the room.

JC, most of the african cichlids are among the hardiest fw fish. only requirement is an elevated ph. your tap water has that, you're all set. mine does, and guess what i started keeping recently :wink: . (and i'll tell you the most low maintenance tank I ever had)...

ok.. does anyone have an opinion about wich fish might be more delicate to water conditions, "canary in a coal mine", then discus?

tetrin said:
JC, most of the african cichlids are among the hardiest fw fish. only requirement is an elevated ph. your tap water has that, you're all set. mine does, and guess what i started keeping recently :wink: . (and i'll tell you the most low maintenance tank I ever had)...

Tetrin:
That's what I was referring to. A lot of people aren't aware of this requirement and have lost their fish because of it.

I think Rams, as I have kept them as well as Discus and the discus seemed fine regarding water quality were as the rams lost colour and didnt look happy.

Well many times the water conditions are blamed for other stress related problems. Simply transporting a fish can be enough to do that. Placing some fish in an overly active tank or in a high traffic area can have adverse effects on some species.

IME one of the fish most sensitive to changing conditions is the Cardinal Tetra. Some of the pleco species (such as the gold nugget), can be very intolerant as well. But if you really want a challenge, try keeping a freshwater stingray in peak condition.

Yes I would agree, I've had terrible luck with cardinal tetras, and I recently lost my gold nugget pleco. :(

the most sensitive fish to chlorine i know are barbs. i had tinfoil barbs and slight chlorine interaction disturbed them a lot while all other fishes in my tank were alright.

I thought my gold nugget was fairly hardy but too agressive. He was one of my first fish when I was messing with my water parameters thinking I needed to lower my 7.6 ph. He's since found a new home instead of attacking all my bottom feeders and hiding all the time. No point in keeping 1 pretty fish you never see.

Oooo Stingrays! I want! but I don't have the space :(

so far small plecos cept for my(knock on wood) pitbull....

the easiest bettas once i got them filtered and out of half gallon bowls

Back
Top Bottom