Inactive Cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yao

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have three corys, and the two are very active and search the bottom all day long for food. However, one of them sort of sits around in one place all day. Sometimes he'll swim around, but usually he just lies on the bottom. Is this normal, or is there something wrong?

There might be something wrong. Does he have any other unusual behaviours? What are your water parameters? You could do a pwc if you haven't recently and see if that perks him up. How long have you had him?

Hi,

I had a bronze cory like that. It seemed normal at the lfs. When I brought it home, it became quickly very inactive, always hidding under the piece of wood. I would never see it eat. I'd have to look for it to make sure it was still alive, and when I found it it would zip away, scared, to another hidding place. Very strange behavior. I thought it was just shy and I thought it was doing fine since it was getting bigger (therefore eating).

A couple of weeks later, it had a really really bad case of dropsy and popped-eye. I had to euthanize it...

All the other cories that I've had are really really active and become inactive when something is wrong (I'm not an expert, I've had a tank only since March... but I've lost quite a few cories...). It seems like they always have some food to dig from the gravel. They might rest a bit, once in a while, but never very long. I'd say that an inactive cory is probably an unhappy cory... keep a good eye on it to see what comes up.

Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom