Increasing Hardess with Hydrated lime???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dogz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
You know the saying a little knowledge is dangerous I though I would bounce this Question of these board.

I’m pretty new to the site and had a rush of blood and after 10 year fish keeping wanted to start breeding fish and get some advice on planted tanks..

The first Question I had from here was had you tested your water?... I’m thinking yeah sure I test the PH and then started to read…KH and GH and PO4 and NO3 and NO2 so now armed with a basic test kit I’m starting to realize I have very soft water and very hard water type fish..

Anyway GH – is about >6 d and the KH is 0 to 3 d , I was reading adding limestone to the tank would help increase Hardness and also PH. I’m thinking I have a Bag of Hydrated Lime which I believe is Limestone heated to 1000deg and remove the CO2 and then water is added. In theory I imagine this would be a pure form of limestone

So could hydrated lime be added to a tank to increase PH and hardness without harming the fish?

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom