Incredibly fast growing yoyo loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktomminello

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's been a while since I've been on- I've been working hard on quickly and safely upgrading and stocking tanks to put together my 150g Mekong river tributary inspired biotope- will be posting pics to my albums soon. (y)

Well, since I've been building up my stock I researched and decided to add 3 yoyo loaches to give them a try. I love the way they look and their antics remind me of my beloved fiddler crabs (now being housed in my daughters guppy tank/ feeder guppy breeder tank) which tear up too many plants and moss and driftwood structures :(.

I've noticed them growing incredibly fast- I got them 2 weeks ago, they were just barely out of fry stage, only about 3/4"-1". All they did was hide and play dead and they looked like lEECHes not lOACHes. They are now a uniform 2" are fat with the yoyo pattern :) and doing the usual playful loach tumbles and dances.

Are these guys growing too fast or should I expect this growth rate to keep up until they are full grown (I'm expecting between 4"-7" max, wondering if anyone can give me PERSONAL accounts of max sizes in their own tanks)? If this is the case should I move them to my newly set up 40g? I used media combined from 1 10g and 1 20g, only slight mini cycle over the course of 2 days, has tested 6.8pH, 0 ammo, 0 trites, <1 trates for 3 days now- HEAVILY planted, flourish root tabs, first layer laterite, black eco complete, injected CO2 and daily fert supplements while rooting new plants- will this affect them- I know how to deal with saltwater scaleless fish, not so sure about freshwater and just need some reassurance/ advice.

:thanks::thanks::thanks: in advance for anybody that can help me make these little guys lives happier!!

30g
1 blue 3 spot gourami
1 blue paradise gourami
1 red paradise gourami
5 diamond tetra
3 yoyo loaches

40g (used to be 10g)
1 juvenile male spade tail betta
2 community female betta
8 glowlight tetra
8 harlequin bora
+4 green tiger barbs (baby)
+3 yoyo loaches (TOTAL FOR 150g will be 6)

*+ means they haven't been added yet and are up for reconsideration

Mostly all fish hit that peak and grow fast around then. However you probably have a good environment (sounds like it is) which helps. That sounds like a very cool thing you got going on.

All fish grow at different rates though. Loaches might be fast growers? Idk.

Most loaches grow pretty fast to a certain point then slow down a lot. Loaches like clowns for example grow fairly quickly to about 5-6" then slow way down, that's why a large clown would cost considerable more than a small one. My angelicus and striata loaches both were bought at about 1" and now are probably about 3" and its been about 3-4 months. If you weren't seeing growth then that would be cause for concern but good growth should be something to be happy about, means they are in a comfortable environment

I am incredibly happy to see them grow and play :) and thank you to those that chimed in. I have noticed the exponential 3s in many fish species, and I've decided to maintain stability on my 40g for another 2 weeks and then add all 6 loaches- they appear to be filling in more than growing now. I think that would even out my 2 tanks- just found another 40g in my basement to upgrade my 30g and may add 5 baby green tiger barbs and apple or ramshorn snails or RCS, ghost or amano shrimp. Stock list is tentatively-

40g 1
1 3 spot gourami
1 red paradise gourami
1 blue paradise gourami
+ (?) snails- suggestions on qty and type greatly appreciated
+5 RCS
+5 amano/ ghost shrimp
+5 baby green tiger barbs
(-3 3" yoyo loaches)
(-5 diamond tetra)

40g 2
8 Harlequin boras
8 glowlight tetra
1 spadetail male betta
+6 3" yoyo loaches
+5 diamond tetra

natural SE Asian inspired aquascapes including driftwood, river rocks and pebbles, broken clay pipe/ decorative vases. Plants include- hygrophila sp, hygrophila compacta sp, ludwiga repens, ludwiga narrow leaf, bolbitus, anubias nana petite, anubias nana sp, anubias c sp, mondo grass, anacharis, crinon, water sprite, wendelov java fern, java moss, cardamine, banana plant, red tiger lotus, dwarf hair grass, marimo moss, bacopa carolinian, crypt w green, crypt w red, bamboo, snake echinodorus, green nymphaea, and many unidentified plant.
Substrate design is inspired by Amano and Dutch nature style setups.

Back
Top Bottom