Indian Pea Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SherLar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Took my wife with my to visit a couple LFS yesterday. Never a good idea, as she always finds and falls in love with fish that I have no knowledge or experience with. This time, it was hybrid cichlids, and Indian Pea (dwarf) Puffers.
As it turns out, the two things the LFS and all the online resources agree on is that it's a true freshwater puffer, and that it grows to only about 1". That's where the agreement stops. So, I'm hoping that someone here can provide some experienced info to help me sort out the conflicts.

PH: has a specific PH range, or can tolerate a wide range as long as it's transitioned slowly, including my 8.4 PH.

Plants: absolutely has to have live plants, or will be fine with artificial plants as long as there are plenty of places for hiding and exploring.

Tank mates: needs to be in a species only tank, or will be fine with tank mates as long as they're fast enough to avoid having their fins nipped.

Solo fish: should be the only fish of it's kind to avoid con-specific aggression, or can be with others of its species in a 1m/2-3f ratio.

Feeding: will thrive only on still living food, or can thrive on frozen live foods.

If anyone has ever owned one of these tiny puffers, or knows anything about them, I'd really appreciate the info. Thanks.

I have 4!! They're awesome little fish. Mine are in relatively soft water. Ph just under 7. The tank is a 20 long. I'll post a pic. They eat snails, love them some.frozen mini bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1485958077833.jpg
    1485958077833.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 53
Watched your vid. Fun little fish. I'm convinced; she'll get her puffers as soon as I get a tank up and cycled. At least a 20g won't cost me my futon.
Do they absolutely need live plants, or will they be content with artificial?

I mean live is always better imo. I havnt really looked much into an artificial setup?? Check into a bit first maybe??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

i had a trio in a 10 with fake plants and they did fine. Ate like pigs and all that so i dont think theres any problem really with fake plants and pea puffers....

Back
Top Bottom