Indoor Ponds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micheleva

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone have any experience with these or have any websites to share that would help a beginner?
I have searched and Im not finding anything for indoors.

Would I be looking at alot of maintainence? How does one clean it, do water changes? I have a python hose for my 55gal. What about a recommended filter?

Indoor pond = aquarium without see through sides. Give us some more details on what you would like, and we can help, things like size, depth, location, and what you plan on stocking.

Gosh, we really dont have any specifics yet...
Would like to find out if its something I can handle first. Hubby would be constructing it and I would be maintaining it.

Probably 3x6 by 2 or 3 feet deep. I found out how to figure out gallons.. and got some info on setting one up with cinder blocks and a liner that looks real nice.

It would be in a gameroom (converted garage) so weight is not an issue.

There is a pond at the lfs here with stingrays.. we are doing alot of research on those also.. our ph comes out of tap at 8.4 so that is the main thing Im concerned with.

We are still doing our research so any info would be helpful, Thanks.

RogerMcAllen said:
Indoor pond = aquarium without see through sides.

Not really, as if you build a good surround, you can terrascape it with all sorts of plants, build a waterfall, etc.

I have helped a lot of people build ponds like this for turtles.

this is in a 4x8 foot area..pond is 90 gallons plus waterfall.

Attachments

• dscn4911.jpg
    dscn4911.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 149
We have an indoor pond in our kid's school. As far as maintanance goes, really not much more than an aquarium (& you don't have to clean the glass!).

You can either construct one using principles of an aquarium - just think of it as a large tank - just not glass ... Or, you can think of it as an outdoor pond that happens to be indoors.

To bring an outdoor pond design indoors, the most important difference is light level. Unless you have lots of light to simulate the sun, a lot of the pond plants won't do well. An option is to have a skylight over the pond to give natural light. I saw a good website detailing an indoor pond built inside a greenhouse addition. The link is broken but I am sure there are other indoor ponds on the web out there.

Back
Top Bottom