Inducing a schooling trigger in tetras etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Numbers,
the more you have, the more likely they are to exhibit their natural schooling behavior.
Five or six does not cut it, a dozen at least, several dozen, think big.

Space,
the more space you have, the more likely they are to exhibit their natural schooling behavior.
A couple of feet starts to make difference, now combine that with a broken line of sight and you've a nervous fishy.

Predators,
having a (perceived) predator lurking, the more likely they are to exhibit their natural schooling behavior.
Enough said.

There is safety in numbers from predators, and no fish wants to be separated from the school.

Where're my buddies? Whoa! they're way over there going outta sight behind that log... Eeeeek! Predator! Hey guys! Waaaaaait for me!

I think that's a pretty good summary of the thread, plus some new insight.

I'm wondering how big of a tank you'd need to have predatory angels and a reproducing population of neons, where ecosystem reaches an equilibrium?

Pretty danged big.

The Angels would need a defined biotope/territory, which they would not be inclined to leave, even to chase down tasty Neon tetras.
And the Neons would need suitable numbers, room to escape their predation and breed unmolested.

Reproduce about 20-50' of SA blackwater biotope.

Btw, the whole hydrodynamic thing worked... I turned the spray bar even lower, to distribute the micro bubbles from my mazzei injector, and the cardinals are schooling together now :)

Back
Top Bottom