Info about some not as common fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wtayjay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys. I'm setting up a new planted tank and I want to keep some fish in it that aren't seen as often. Out of the list below, I'd like to pick two and have a shoal of each. I was wondering if anyone has kept any of these before or knows if any two will go well together.
Congo Tetra: Phenacogrammus interruptus.
Emperor Tetra: Inpaichthys kerri.
Popondetta Blue Eye: Pseudomugil connieae.
Threadfin Rainbow: Iriatherina werneri.
Odessa Barb: Pethia padamya.
Celestial Pearl Danio: Danio margaritatus.
Forktail Rainbow: Pseudomugil furcatus.
Hi fin headstander barb: Oreichthys cosuatis.
Pretend that getting them isn't a problem. I believe I have a place I can get most of these. Thanks for looking!

How big is the tank? Some of these fish, such as Congo tetras and odessa barbs, would work fine together but not when paired with smaller fish such as the CPDs or the pseudomugils. If we know the size of the tank we can eliminate some scenarios immediately.

Whoops! It's a 30 gallon

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've kept furcata rainbows before and they are super hardy. I've worked with celestial pearl danios and with them it's really a hit or miss. I worked at a fish store for a while and they were really shy. Maybe they just needed plants but they always hid. Furcata rainbows ate prepared foods and I never saw any real fighting.

I have 8 congo tetras in a 55 gallon tank. They are great fish but can get 4 inches or better, and they are fast swimmers and also aggressive eaters. In my opinion, they need the 55 gallon size tank. They are schooling fish and need 6 or 8 together. Sorry, those are the only ones on your list I know anything about.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've kept furcata rainbows before and they are super hardy. I've worked with celestial pearl danios and with them it's really a hit or miss. I worked at a fish store for a while and they were really shy. Maybe they just needed plants but they always hid. Furcata rainbows ate prepared foods and I never saw any real fighting.

Thats very cool! I wonder how they'd do in my planted tank. Were your rainbows aggressive at all?

I have 8 congo tetras in a 55 gallon tank. They are great fish but can get 4 inches or better, and they are fast swimmers and also aggressive eaters. In my opinion, they need the 55 gallon size tank. They are schooling fish and need 6 or 8 together. Sorry, those are the only ones on your list I know anything about.

You know what, you're right. I had forgotten how big those could get. First one crossed off the list; Congo Tetra!!

The furcatas weren't aggressive but they were active so it wasn't too relaxing. I bet the celestial pearl danios might feel more secure in a planted tank I don't know. Thread fin rainbows are another species I worked with for a while but I didn't keep. They seemed pretty hardy once they were properly acclimated.

I'm a huge fan (and keeper of) threadfin rainbows.

They are pretty good schoolers, hang at the top a lot and are very visually appealing when the males display. Don't let the dull colors of most photos fool you. These things shine when in good health.

I've kept them with CPDs, with no issues at all. While CPDs can be shy, I've personally had good luck with them when kept with other peaceful fish, like the rainbows, who keep the squabbling amongst themselves.

Yep, furcatas are very active, much like endlers and guppies. Some people like that, and others prefer slower moving, more mellow fish. I like the furcatas, but prefer my Peacock Gudgeons and female bettas, as they are so much more personable, unafraid of humans, and very peaceful to watch, as they don't dart around like maniacs. They seem to be more intelligent too, then a lot of other fish.

Back
Top Bottom