Info on Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWerner13

Aquarium Advice Freak
A friend of mine is looking into getting her first tank. She is in love with angelfish of course. I have read up on them, but have no personal experience. What do I need to know? I know they can be aggressive so how big of a tank is good for lets say two full grown angels? Any info is much appreciated! Thanks.

I'd go with a 29g tank for two fully grown angels. A 20H could also work for breeding purposes. Don't keep them with smaller tetras unless you have tetras as their tankmates when the angelfish are young because they will view them as food if they see them for the first time when they are larger. I keep mine with discus and neons with no problems whatsoever. Also avoid keeping them with fin nipping fish such as tiger barbs. Other than that there's nothing really hard to keeping them.

And if She went with just one could she get along alright with say a 20g high? or smaller? She wants as small a tank as possible but will do whatever is right for the fish.

A 20H is the smallest recommended tank for an angelfish since they get rather tall and need tall tanks. I really recommend a 29g, which opens up the door for other types of fish in addition to the angels.

sweet, I think I'll tell her to go with the 20 gallon high then, I get a pretty sweet discount even if I can't find it on craigslist

29g tanks should be easier to find than a 20H and I really recommend that over a 20H. You should be able to fins a 29g tank for a little more than $30. A metal stand that allows you to have a tank on the bottom would go for $75-100 is my guess.

20H is the minimum. This will work for either a breeding pair or a single. If you get two or more of the same sex I would suggest a larger tank than a 20H.

A pair of Angels look fantastic in a 55 tall. And you could throw in some other compatible fish as well.

Well I believe she is fine for going with one angel. I can get the 20H extremely cheap because I work at a petstore. I will have to talk to her more about her preference and I will encourage to go bigger of course, but I believe the idea is to keep it on her kitchen counter and the 20H will take up less space, but like I said I gotta talk to her more about it.

I have one set of breeding angels. I did have them in a 29g, but just recently moved up to a 55g because I also like having other fish with them. I am really thrilled with my 55g. I got it, the stand, heater, and other accessories for $150.00 on craigslist. Usually craigslist is even cheaper than wholesale because former owners usually throw in extra accessories when they are selling their tanks. :)

Right now I have a large Koi Angelfish in my 30g long. He is probably 5" from top to bottom and I am already planning on getting a 30g tall to put him in. Even if they are small when you get them, once they grow up you will need the extra vertical space. I too would go for the 29g, it gives the angel some more room and the ability to add more fish later.

With good filtration a single or even would be fine in a 20H. Angels don't get very big, but because of their shape they need space.

With good filtration a single or even would be fine in a 20H. Angels don't get very big, but because of their shape they need space.

I'm just picturing two of my angelfish in a 20H and that wouldn't be a whole lot of room. From nose to tail mine is about 3.5" and from top to bottom, ~5-6", that is a big fish in my book. If I went with a 20H I would do one angel and maybe some cories. I just see aggression issues arising from two angels in a 20H, I'm sure it can be done but it really depends on the temperament of the fish.

A 20H is the smallest recommended tank for an angelfish since they get rather tall and need tall tanks. I really recommend a 29g, which opens up the door for other types of fish in addition to the angels.
I strongly second bs6749's recommendation of the 29 gallon over the 20H.

I would like to add also that with the additional water volume you get slower chem and temp fluctuations.

Lol, Like I said I'll talk to her and explain everything... As an avid aquarium lover I know very well that the bigger the better. I mostly needed to know the minimum for one angel. She wants to keep the tank on her kitchen counter and so would like to take up as little space as possible. Thank you all for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom