infusoria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
So from what I read you put a bruised lettuce leaf in a cup of tank water and just let it sit for 3-4 days? When the water clears it says to harvest infusoria but it doesn't say what it looks like.... Do you just pull water out if the cup and assume the infusoria is there?

I have planted tanks with lots if snails. From what I am reading. My tanks should already have a good population of infusoria. Also I have noticed small amounts of planaria occasionally and have read that planaria feed off of infusoria...

Can anyone tell me what to look for? Specks in the water? I have no idea. I have some powdered fry food that was a free sample from angels plus, and I've raised guppy fry with powdered egg yolk..... but have read betta fry do best with infusoria the first few days.

Inf. has microscopic organisms in it. So you won't see specks unless you look at the water under a microscope. Things like paramecia will grow and will turn the water with the lettuce a greenish color, like a green hue. It's green because of the organisms! So yes, assume there is yummy food there. And your tank should have some already, but it doesn't hurt to add more i guess. I also have lettuce in jars on my windowsill in preparation for my first attempt as gourami breeding.

gabysapha said:
Inf. has microscopic organisms in it. So you won't see specks unless you look at the water under a microscope. Things like paramecia will grow and will turn the water with the lettuce a greenish color, like a green hue. It's green because of the organisms! So yes, assume there is yummy food there. And your tank should have some already, but it doesn't hurt to add more i guess. I also have lettuce in jars on my windowsill in preparation for my first attempt as gourami breeding.

Thanks, this is what a assumed from reading articles.. I just hope I do it right. I hear bettas are picky about fry food..

Timothy hay works well too and seems to hold up quite awhile. FWIW

HN1 said:
Small animal (rabbit) feed.

I agree that hay works better! It had never occurred to me that I had done that as a science experiment in elementary school. If you have access to hay, like if you live at a barn or have bunnies, then try that!

HN1 said:
Small animal (rabbit) feed.

I have some hamster food, is it the pellets?

Do I put the pellets in with the lettuce?

I also read adding hard boiled egg yolk , a very small amount, will feed the infusoria

I'd be worried about adding the pellets unless they say "100% timothy hay". Egg yolk or lettuce will work too. Filter squeezings with a food source and air stone is really all it takes.

Well here is what I've got set up. I used some detritus from the tank and tank water, lettuce leaves, and was going to put a little scrape of egg yolk in one just for the heck of it. Nowhere said anything about an airstone? I have some and a pump and plenty if tubing.... But I didn't think that was necessary.

Edit.... Says I have exceeded my uploads...

Back
Top Bottom