Inhabitants in my 5.5?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 5.5 gallon tank, planted. It is cycling, but very close to being finished. My birthday is in two weeks, and i am getting some tank goodies. They include a Hagen CO2 system, driftwood, plants of my choice, fish of my choice, and most likely a python gravel cleaner.

I ask you guys, is there anything i dont want in my tank. Right now I have Asian Ambulia, Anacharis, some Ludwigia, and two zebra danios. I will most likely remove everything but the Asian Ambulia, but I will get a red plant of some kind.

My thoughts are- Glossostigma, Rotala Macrandra, Asian Ambulia, Didiplus Diandra, and Wisteria. For fish I want to get two more danios, but how many tetras can I get. Will 6 be too many for such a small tank. If so, I will keep my two danios and get 6 tetras, although my danios would like some company.

Forgot to say I want either a SAE, otto, or a pleco (I know he will get way too big, he will be traded in everynow and then)

I'd vote for the oto's. Get at least three though as they are a schooling fish and often do not do well alone.
Logan J

I say go for the Otos just keep an eye on the water parameters, IMO, they are not the most hardy of fish. (Efficient filtration is essential.)

Well, that is pretty obvious that ottos are the best pick, how many other fish can I get, and do i need three ottos?

No, you don't NEED 3 Oto's, that's just a "rule of thumb" because they are social fish and like to hang out together.

Another "rule of thumb" is 1 inch of fish per gallon (for FW setups).
You can bend this rule if you have good filtration and do regular water changes, religiously.

This is just what I would do (obviously, you can do what you feel like doing);
You have 2 Danios = 2 inches. 6 neon tetras or 2 more Danios will be OK but I, personally, wouldn't get all 8. Maybe 1 Oto but that is where I'd stop.

I hope this helps.

Looks awesome...
I love the looks of a well planted tank.

If I had to guess the size of the tank, there is no way I would have guessed 5.5 gallons. I probably would have guessed 20G.

Yeah, I really like the looks of it. It sits next to me when I am on the comp. I planted the glossostigma the correct way since taking that picture, and all the plants have settled, and the tank looks real good. I love it.

Back
Top Bottom