Injury or something else? - picture included

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i3k

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This happened overnight. All my barbs were fine last night as I fed them. Found this guy upside down on the gravel this morning. He is the biggest barb out of the 5.

Is that blood under the skin? Or is that an indication of something else? It's only red like that on one side.

20pbqm9.jpg

He was in a 30 gallon tank that has been running for years. All the water parameters are excellent and a 50% PWC was done two days ago. I do 50% PWC every 10 days. The tank has 5 barbs and 4 panda corys.

His fins look nipped to me as well... I donated my barbs bc of aggression...

Yea while he was down the other barbs nipped on him...but when he was well, he was the most aggressive out of the pack.

Looks like a bacterial infection to me or he ran himself into the glass.

The fins were probably nipped post mortem

Barbs are nasty little buggers....

Im sure fish could have blood pooling after dead like humans? did you find him blood side down? if so that could be a possibility... As for the fins, could have been nipped either prior or after death, or both.... did you see your barbs, harassing them?

sorry for you loss! not knowing why is hard...

The barb is still alive. He was upside down when I found him. This is the biggest barb of the 5 and he would be the one chasing others. Never seen any of the barbs bother him at all.

i3k said:
The barb is still alive. He was upside down when I found him. This is the biggest barb of the 5 and he would be the one chasing others. Never seen any of the barbs bother him at all.

Maybe that's why they went after him ?? Idk ... I love barbs but they are really mean ...

well now this is weird. the barb was still alive this morning, but barely breathing. Still had all that blood under the skin. The barb died within the last hour and the blood under the skin is completely gone??? Really not sure what to think of it.

Hmmm...that's odd! All your other barbs are fine? It must have been an injury or something that weakened him and then the others really went after him. Just a guess! Sorry you lost him...

Yup the other barbs are fine and just ate like pigs few minutes ago. The corys are fine too.

After the barb died, I checked it out up close and didn't find any damaged tissue or anything...I did see some tiny blood dots in one eye though.

Back
Top Bottom