Insane Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason the Lost

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my Golden Apple...he'll sit directly on or hang on the glass near my air wand until his shell fills up with bubbles so much that he cant hold on anymore then goes flying up to the surface. He kind of floats there for a second or two then slowly pushes out bubble by bubble till he stars sinking down again...and he keeps going back....he'll do this 4 or 5 times a day when he never would even go near this thing before. Extreme stunt snail?

Its cracking me up...between him bullying the Cory Cats out of their tab food and now this, I'd say hes definitely the most interesting thing in my tank.

My snails do this alot too. We call it surfing. They just sort of let the filter current and bubbles blow them around in circles.

I remember your greedy snail pics! :D http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=60683&highlight=
Could you try to get pics of your snail trapping air and floating? :lol:

I wonder if inverts can experience pleasure and if they do certain things simply because it feels good. My crayfish used to sit on the bubble wand for hours. I'm convinced that it felt as good to him as a whirlpool spa would feel to us. Your snail may have learned this pleasure-inducing behavior, which is really amazing if you stop and think about it!

When I first saw this with mine, I thought something was wrong. When I noticed he was doing it on purpose, I thought "yeah...what a great way to get around the entire tank"!

It was then that I learned that they can do this on their own. They will use their breathing tube and force air under themselves and take off!

Pretty amazing adaption!

BTW - I've tried to get pics of this...then stopped. I guess I've been remiss.

Back
Top Bottom