Insta-cycle didn't work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone. 3 weeks ago I bought a filter cartridge for a 5g bowfront. I put it in with my established tank's filter for 2 weeks to seed it and then 1 week ago, I bought the 5g and transferred my betta over from his 1/2g into the 5g. I just did the first water test on the tank and am a little confused. I thought that using established filter media meant it wouldn't go through a cycle but here are my latest test readings:

Ammonia: 1.5ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 2.5ppm

My tap water doesn't have any ammonia or nitrates. I've never insta-cycled a tank before so is this normal? Will the ammonia reading eventually disappear? Any help is appreciated!

Aqua315 said:
Hi everyone. 3 weeks ago I bought a filter cartridge for a 5g bowfront. I put it in with my established tank's filter for 2 weeks to seed it and then 1 week ago, I bought the 5g and transferred my betta over from his 1/2g into the 5g. I just did the first water test on the tank and am a little confused. I thought that using established filter media meant it wouldn't go through a cycle but here are my latest test readings:

Ammonia: 1.5ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 2.5ppm

My tap water doesn't have any ammonia or nitrates. I've never insta-cycled a tank before so is this normal? Will the ammonia reading eventually disappear? Any help is appreciated!

Time to start doing water changes. Using seeded media is not a guaranteed success, as this shows.

it will cycle eventually but until then you need to stay on top of water quality.

Back
Top Bottom