instructions for peat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
as some of you know my ph went up. my tap is 7.2 but my tank is 7.6-8.0.

do you just keep the peat in there until it gets down low enough or do u just keep it in there and when it gets tool ow u do a water change

i keep peat in my filter. my ph will go up a little when I do a water change, but will be back down after about 24 hrs. I think you'll find it won't get too low. start with a little peat, leave it for a few days, test your water. If you need it lower, add more. I use about .5 to .75 of a cup in my 10 gallon.

what gravel or decorations do you have that would raise your ph?

i have no idea there is a theory that there was not enough water and so mroe surface agitation. i think someone said that oxygen can make ph higher. i had my water lvl like 2" low for a couple days. i had some shells but i thought that would only affect the kh. also i have driftwood in there so i think its higher then this but the driftwood lowered it.

shells will raise your ph slightly and your kh. drift wood only works over long amounts of time. try the peat. it helps.

okay i took all the shells out. i think ill go to the store tomorrow and get some peat and some calcium tabs. i hope u can use them. like certain kinds.

and for oscar if you didnt do water changes for a month would it go under? or it just stops at 7 nomatter what

Well I've never let my tank go for more then a week without a water change so Im not real sure.
I do clean the canister and replace the peat every couple months.

okay i got the peat and im waiting for my mom to come home so i can ask ehr if i can use one of her stockings so i can put ther peat in it. i didnt know which one was better so i got the peat granuels. because its more then 5x the amount for 1.5 the price of the other one. im going to stick it by the out take of my filter so itll like have more water surface or watever.

any last notes b4 i put it in?

is there some way using peat to keep the pH at 6.5 or thereabouts?
are the fluctuations being described unhealthy for the fish?
am i correct in understanding adding peat raises the pH for a time before it lowers it?
does one go buy a bag of peat moss like one uses in the garden?
does peat affect live plants for better or worse?
i have tetras and would like to keep the pH at around 6.5, i would like to follow people's suggestions and do this without going the bought-chemical route, but i am not prepared at the moment to comprehend and assemble the CO2 thingy people refer to for keeping pH down
thanks any and all for any input on this matter...this is what led me to find and sign on to this site, which i am enjoying lotz

okay for penguin 125 there arent any stockings. there are only the premade ones i think.

the c02 thingy is just put yeast with sugar and warm water into a bottle. cut a hole through the top and attach airline tubing ans an airstone to it. then u shake it up and bubbles should come out. it usually lasts about 10 days.

You said you were going to ask your mom to use a stocking so I just said that thinking you did.

You can buy little filter bags at your LFS to hold the peat.

oh hahahahahaha. sry thought u meant the stockings on like whisper. ya kno theres the frame and theres that lil sock that u pull up and fill it. i dont really know about whispers but certain tetra filters have that. thx

I'm going to be using mine within a Fluval 203 in a 30 gal. I'll probably have the peat in a bag as well.

My question is how long does it take a tank to stablize at the new ph? I know it depends on water volume and flow. I have simular issues in my 55 gal with raising my ph.

I’m curious, how fine a material do you need to use to make sure that the peat doesn’t darken your water. Or is darkening inevitable?

Back
Top Bottom