Interest thread: 3D aquarium backgrounds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
My husband is running a prop crafting business from home as a self employment type thing since his medical issues have been preventing him from holding a steady office job. He is thinking of branching out into aquarium 3D backgrounds and decorations due to my love of aquariums and having such difficulty finding the kinds of decorations I want for tank ideas I have.

Before we invest a lot in creating a wide range of aquarium stuff, we wanted to check what sort of interest is out there, and for what types of stuff. I know what stuff I'd want personally, and one of our friends is another aquarium addict as well, but obviously a wider range of opinions on what folks would want to see would be helpful :) We're starting on 3D backgrounds since all the ones currently out there are beastly expensive and don't seem to have very many sources.

Some ideas we had in mind for 3D backgrounds...
1) A cliff wall with various nooks, crevices, shelves
2) Mountain scape
3) A mangrove root forest
4) Video game theme (Mario, or tetris, etc)
5) Ship graveyard with various sized sunken ship bows/sterns sticking out (this one would have to be pricey due to how much more work it would take to sculpt)

What do you guys think? Would you be interested in something like this (if so, what design, and what dimensions)? Are there any other designs folks think would be fun?

Disclaimer: Obviously we're not holding anyone to what they say they'd want, just trying to get a community pulse/idea brainstorm for what folks need to make their tanks more awesome :) Thanks!

I've always liked the river bank look, stumps and long pieces of driftwood for cover. The mangrove forest type you suggested.

I think a great back ground would have built in places to stick plant pots or rock wool into, and grooves to attach moss, etc once it was submerged.

A two or multi piece kit for 55s that seams together nicely and one piece kits for 29s and 20s and 10s, the most popular tanks would be what you'd want to market at first.

Stuff that sticks out all the way into the tank once assembled is always welcome as it breaks up the profile.

Oh, an "assemble at home" Iwagumi mountain rock set would be great too, you'd buy it as a kit, then assemble it in the tank and secure it to the bottom with silicone.

Good sized Iwagumi mountain style rock work is hard to find and pricey to ship from those that sell it. Premade/prepainted stuff out of plastic would be wonderful and easy to ship and allow for more elaborate designs since it was lighter.

I had a friend one time glue gravel and rocks to his entire back wall inside his tank for discus. It was stunning. Made his tank look like a cave or sheer rock wall of a river. Plenty of ledges for plants or whatnot. I always wanted to replicate it but haven't setup a freshwater tank since then. Almost tried it for SW with live rock & crushed coral though.

Anyways, maybe an insert premade in sections could be one design.

What about a coral reef background? It's not really freshwater, but somebody out there would like it.

Yep, we were thinking a more advanced design would allow for various shelf or branch inserts to be added to premade holes, and those not in use could have a rock or driftwood plug instead, but we're starting off with something hopefully more simple and static while we get used to making them :)

The iwagumi rock set would be super easy to make, I like it! It has the added bonus of not mattering as much on what dimensions your tank is. The paneling idea is good too, we were trying to figure out how we'd handle the different tank sizes.

The coral reef idea is good too. I think that would be more for the marine setups, but people who want a marine tank and aren't confident enough/can't afford to do a saltwater setup might like it :)

Keep the input coming!

look into the " underwater waterfall" or sand fountain backgrounds lots of diy bids on YouTube and I know a couple people on here have done them

would probably be an in demand product if you came up with some good designs like making one as a corner piece that would fit a variety of aquarium sizes, or a selection of different sizes to fit various aquariums and budgets

There is a few companies in Europe already making them, Juwel probably being the biggest and 3D aquariums.

Pic of Juwel Granite background in my 15g, would cost around $30 and can be cut to size, comes twice the size as what you can see.

Attachments

• image-2811275636.jpg
    image-2811275636.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 174
How bad is the shipping from Europe though? Here in the US there's only a couple makers we've found, and all of them want a minimum of $70 even before you account for shipping. None of them make sandfalls either, so that could be an extra niche :)

I know you said video game backgrounds that would be awesome!! Could only imagine playing battlefield and looking over at my aquarium and see a Tank or house ruins coming out of the background!!! Absolutely great idea! Now having working lights on a Hummer coming out of the background would be interesting... :p

How about movie themes as well... I'm sure people would love a cool 3d avatar background with a planted tank. Or lord of the rings with a background of mount doom, star wars background with a star destroyer going into part of the tank....

Just some thoughts, many more out there I'm sure.... I can go on forever :D

I'd like something off beat, like scifi like the attached picture. it is done by, Feng Zhu, he did some concept art for George Lucas on the new Star Wars movies

Attachments

• feng zhu 1.jpg
    feng zhu 1.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 142
bobc4d said:
I'd like something off beat, like scifi like the attached picture. it is done by, Feng Zhu, he did some concept art for George Lucas on the new Star Wars movies

That is a b.a background.

2) and 3) sound cool. For dimensions have the lengths be like 36" 48" ect and for height just whatever people request

Back
Top Bottom