Interested in shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isu712

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would like to get some shrimp for my tank. I have a 20 gallon with 2 Flame Dwarf Gouramis, 4 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 White Clouds and 2 Otocincli. Will I be able to add shrimp? I don't want to overstock. Do the shrimp need any additives other than the proper food source and water conditions (temp, pH, etc.)? Also, does anyone have any recommendations on the type of shrimp? I was thinking ghost shrimp, but if anyone else has suggestions they would be appreciated.

Ghost Shrimp are a great choice, because they're inexpensive. Shrimp will generally require some sort of hardness in the water, because they need to form new shells when they molt. My water is generally hard so I've run into no problems. You may want to test your water hardness before getting some.

Make sure you aren't dosing with chemicals that may contain heavy metals, like copper. Invertebrates don't do well with copper.

Red Cherry Shrimp may be another option for you. They're a bit more colorful and just as hardy as Ghost Shrimp in my experience.

No matter what kind of shrimp you choose, make sure they have hiding places. Nooks and crannies in rocks, Java Moss, or ornaments are good to have. Any fish will try to eat shrimp that will fit into their mouths. The fish you described should pose little problem to the shrimp I mentioned even when they are half grown. Baby shrimp might be a different story, but I've personally never seen them. I just see juveniles show up randomly, so some of the eggs must be surviving.

I agree about starting with glass shrimp, though they don't live long.

You will have to wait until your aquarium is somewhat stable before getting them. Shrimp are very sensitive to changes in water conditions. You will want to add them after you remove the massive amount of salt you have in the tank and then monitor your tank parameters until you have 0 NH3/NH4 and NO2.

When you have shrimp, they will be the first to perish if one of those parameters goes up.

What is a good level of water hardness to have? I checked the NH3/NH4 and NO2 recently and they were at 0. The tank has been established for a couple of months so the N-cycle is under contol. I haven't dosed with anything that is copper based because I am aware that invertebrates are especially susceptible to copper, but thank you for making sure I knew that. It's that kind of information that I'm after. The salt is on its way out. I wouldn't add anything new to the tank while it is in a state of flux like that so I will be waiting a while before I purchase anything. I'm just trying to do my research before-hand so I can make an educated and responsible decision.

On a side note, the amount of salt was only for treating ich and it was the amount that the manufacturer specified. I don't think they could sell a product with directions that killed an owner's fish, they wouldn't remain in business for very long. I know that a salt content that high would not be beneficial for any extended period of a time. It was only in there for the manufacturer's recommended period of time.

Back
Top Bottom