Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2004, 02:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

'Interesting' fish showing up in chain pet stores

Just visited one of my local PetCo stores (thankfully without buying anything) and saw an 'old friend' of mine in their tanks. They're selling South American Leaf Fish, Monocirrus polyacanthus, which I haven't seen available in years!! These are really neat fish....they look so much like a leaf that it is almost unbelievable. Their shape and coloration (which is chameleon-like) are nearly perfect and they even have a little fleshy projection from their snout to mimic the stem of a leaf.

For those of you who see these fish and want to buy them...a caution! They only eat live fish and will generally starve to death before they accept any substitutes. Don't be fooled by the size of their mouth because it is extensible and unfolds into a remarkably large, trumpet-shaped thing. They can eat fish 3/4 of their own size!! Do NOT buy any of these unless you're prepared to supply them with living food!!!

Old 03-16-2004, 02:59 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
Yeah those are the guys I looked at before deciding to use the polypterus as a culler. They are supposed to be water finicky, need live food and be kinda aggressive. I was looking for "gulp" monsters and night hunters.
IMO they should not be sold as common pets no more than those vampire tetras, clown knives and oscars. You'll see a whole bunch of "oh no -heelp!" posts in 3-4 weeks..jus watch!
They are claimed to be messy eaters part of the time too >shudder< which is why they and the pike gourami were crossed off my list and obviously pirahhna (though I actually know how to care for those)....
Baby betta extras disappear over night is one thing.....baby bettas being made into sausage as you watch is another.... 8O

I've noticed many strange fish at "pet stores" lately. many are things better left alone or neeeding a city aquarium for care. Shovel nose cats are allover at my Petsmart. And so are some rare barely able to research stuff. I see bad trend

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Christmasfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 03:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Yeah, saw some Gnathonemus petersii (I think that's the right name), Elephantnoses last week in the local Petsmart (IMO worse than Petco). I wanted to save them... but I just can't house them ATM, and they'd get harassed by my Kribs in the big tank. And they're too finicky dietarily (dietetically?).

Shoot! I really wanted them!
Old 03-16-2004, 10:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A LFS just 1 mile up the road from me usually has the leaf fish in one tank. They just float near the top looking exactly like an old brown leaf. This LFS also sells "stone fish". Try as you might you can't get the stone fish to react unless it is snapping up prey that wanders too closely. Looks very much like a piece of dirty rock.

I just checked a LFS in Tacoma to see what they have (my tanks are full but I wanted to see if anything interesting is out there). They had a 40 gallon cube tank with about 12 clown knife fish. They also had around 10 channel cats in another tank...I would have thought carrying only one or two of each of these overly large fish would be enough but I guess not. (all of them were deceptively small at around 4-5 inches total length).
Old 03-16-2004, 10:26 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
The Petsmart in Oly/Lacey is carrying an insane amount of BKG and clowns. I cannot belive there are over 20 people who could care for just one. they are selling them as sets like a clown and knife. Knives like clown loaches..in threees. It is just baaaad! They also have very misleading size labels. Pet"no" can't keep em alive long enough in Oly.

They must be the new "it" fish around here...

Old 03-16-2004, 10:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It also seems that the rams carried by petco (petsmart doesn't carry rams from what I have seen) are more androgynous than the rams carried by any of the LFS around here. I can never tell for sure what they are at petco and these are full grown 2" long fish. At any of the lfs I can usually determine what sex they are even when they are only 3/4 of an inch.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:07 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Lacey Petsmart had three rams in the dempsy tank about 3 weeks ago, cute.big eyes.large finned..? I am sure they were rams. They were snapped up in about 3 days...or died.

Old 03-17-2004, 12:37 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to AdamsZoological Send a message via Yahoo to AdamsZoological
The fish stores around here are getting some neat oddball freshwater stuff in now too. They've been getting in leaf fish for a while, and seen one closeby that is carrying Endlers now, used to be a vert hard fish to find, but, what I've seen retail so far havent been the greatest looking. Now, if they'd just get rid of some of the massive fish that almost no one can accomidate, red tail cats, blue channels, peacock bass, etc...wishful thinking
AdamsZoological is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 12:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It is funny how one of the "dirtiest" lfs around here has all of the most exotic fish. They have endler's livebearers at the same place as the leaf fish as well.

At this same place they had a tank with a few 4 inch puffers, purple spotted gobies (around 5" long), a cichlid (can't remember the type), and some pangasius cats together...all of the fish in that tank have torn up fins and some have the bacterial "fungus" forming on the damaged fins.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hate to say this, but all of our fish were "interesting" and "exotic" at one time and we've all contributed to the trade. Best thing we can do as fish lovers is politely educate the LFS via our purchasing habits and subtle conversations w/LFS employees. Or we can be blunt and demand proper living conditions for these potential adoptees.

Tags
sting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com