Interesting fish story...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksfishguy

Aquarium Advice Freak
My neighbor recently purchased a 46 gallon hex tank and cycled using some of my substrate and a few fish. Well, he buys this fish at Walmart that the lady says is a silver dollar or some sort of barb. I can honestly say that it was definitely not a silver dollar, it was too thick and had faint spots going thru its mid-section with some red on its bottom fins. After some research, the only fish that I could come up with is a pirahna.

Well, he just called me and said he had to remove him from the tank. He said the fish was trying to eat his other fish, including a couple of Columbia Sharks. He said that the fish did one of his tiger barbs in.

I was going to run across the street with my digicam, but he already "took care" of the problem.

Could it be possible that Walmart somehow sold a pirahna?

This is a true story. I kept telling him that it may be a pirahna, but he would just laugh. Well, after our phone conversation tonight, he is a believer.

What do you think?

If it was from Walmart it is probably a pacu. Pacu's can look very similar to Pirahna. They need a very large tank. Google some kind of Pacu like Red Bellied Pacu and see if that looks like the fish.

ksfishguy said:
My neighbor recently purchased a 46 gallon hex tank and cycled using some of my substrate and a few fish. Well, he buys this fish at Walmart that the lady says is a silver dollar or some sort of barb. I can honestly say that it was definitely not a silver dollar, it was too thick and had faint spots going thru its mid-section with some red on its bottom fins. After some research, the only fish that I could come up with is a pirahna.

Well, he just called me and said he had to remove him from the tank. He said the fish was trying to eat his other fish, including a couple of Columbia Sharks. He said that the fish did one of his tiger barbs in.

I was going to run across the street with my digicam, but he already "took care" of the problem.

took care of the problem? why not take it back, or try to give it to the lfs for store credit. some people dont think, i hope he didnt flush a live fish

Could it be possible that Walmart somehow sold a pirahna?

This is a true story. I kept telling him that it may be a pirahna, but he would just laugh. Well, after our phone conversation tonight, he is a believer.

What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom