Internal Filters vs. External Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seagrape7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

I just moved my white crayfish from his 2.5 gallon starter tank to a 10 gallon tank. I got the Aqueon QuietFlow Internal Power Filter, and I'm wondering if these internal filters provide enough aeration as opposed to an external filter that allows the filtered water to flow above the surface and back into the tank. Should I add a bubbler?

Any advice is welcome, I don't want to drown my lil guy.

Thanks!

I replied to your other topic. Same reply. Any filter is good. You need to have surface agitation. No need to add bubbles

Hello sea...

Filters all work about the same as far a mixing oxygen into the tank water and allowing carbon dioxide to escape (gas exchange). They should have a minimum gph (gallon per hour) rating of roughly 4 times the volume of the tank in gallons. You simply need to follow one rule. A small tank up to 30 gallons should get a 50 percent water change twice weekly. A tank larger than this, should get the 50 percent water change weekly. Do this faithfully and the water chemistry will be right for your fish and plants.

B

Back
Top Bottom