Internal glass strips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DEC14N

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys and dolls! First post on here! So .. I picked up a tank the other day (24" x 12" x 12") and there are two glass strips glued inside the tank one either side about a half inch from the top, they are about 20" long (almost end to end of the tank) and about an inch and a half wide. What are these? Are they simply a 'shelf' for say a condensation tray or a lid? Or are they a water level marker? Or even strengthening supports for the glass? .. Also, one has come off, so will I need to stick it back on or is it not important and I can just remove the old glue from the tank?

Appreciate any help or guidance as always and hope to get a reply soon!

Cheers peeps!

Hi. Personally, if a tank has been manufactured that way then I would return it to its original condition. You are quite right that these strips are often used for condensation trays but I believe they are primarily to give strength to the front and back glass to stop them bowing out and possibly rupturing. Cross straps are there for the same purpose. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah you're right I guess it should be back to how it left the factory!

Will I be able to get a special aquarium friendly glue from my local fish shop? As I would presume it cannot be a product with silicone or anything in it? Correct me if I'm wrong!

It is a silicone 'glue' but I would advise sourcing it from an aquarium shop. Some DIY silicone has anti-mould additives etc. Remove all old sealant first, make sure surfaces are grease free and dry. Someone may know of a DIY product but I'm not sure and would hate to advise incorrectly. Steve.

Okay matey thanks for your help, I've just removed the old glue and it feels like a silicone as it's very rubbery , not hard at all, just cleaning the glass now. Any tips on achieving a nice clear stain-free finish?

Yes. Run a thin line of sealant along the glass strip edge. Position it carefully - one go at this to make it neat. Settle it down so that the sealant squishes out slightly. I use some tape to keep it in place. Don't move it but run a wet finger gently down each side to form a convex filament. Too little sealant and you will see gaps. The idea is to not be able to see the sealant within the glass join. Too much sealant and you have too much excess for a neat finish. This should be quite easy as it doesn't have be to water tight like an corner or has repair. Go for it !

Cheers buddy, great help! Thanks! Will follow your tips once I get some glue, hopefully tomorrow!

Managed to get some aquarium sealant, seems to have done the trick so far, waiting for drying to complete. Picked up my gravel, ornaments and plants today :) getting excited now. Filter, heater and various other bits on the way too! Can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom