Introduce Betta to community tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADCISCO

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking of putting my betta in the community tank. I have 5 danio,5 white cloud,2 pristella tetra,3 serpea tetra, 1 red velvet sword,1 kissing fish, 2 gold dust mollies and will be adding another kisser and 3 rasbora and a paradise gourami. Do you think that he would be safe. Or do you think that the tetra and danio would fin nip him? I have pretty good plant coverage.

I tried to put a betta in my community tank that contained a gourami and as bettacove said they dont mix well. I had to seperate them cuz they were close to killing each other.

I tried to add a male to my community tank, Tried several times. He was just to grumpy around everyone else. Attacking everything but the Peacock Eel [ Which had some strange attraction to the Betta :? 8O ]

I recently bought a small [ about 1inch long ] female betta, and put her in the community tank. She gets along fine, playing with a baby Sailfin Molly of similar size to her, hiding in the hornwort, eating, ect ect.

Its most likely best to get a young betta, since they can grow into being with the other tank mates and such, as opposed to taking a grumpy, old fussy goat and trying :p

I have to agree that this sounds like a bad idea. If you did not have the gouramis in there it would probably be just fine.

Its a 29 gallon tank. I was just wondering. I have heard alot about putting them in community tanks but I didint know which fish would work with him. He is a gorgous color of red and is just beautiful. I just wanted him to have a bigger place to roam.

I didint know which fish would work with him.
Basically the tank setup you have is perfect for him, minus the gouramis! Peaceful fish will go fine with him, as long as they are not fin nippers. These include many barbs ('specially tiger). You want to avoid also fish with long, flowing fins, like fancy guppies, as sometimes the male betta confuses those fins for another male betta. So no other anabantoids (air-breathers) and no flowy fins or fin nipping fish, and you are golden!

5 danio,
2 pristella tetra
3 serpea tetra

Might nip the betta. especially serpea as they are bad nipper and also u dont have enuf in ur tank to kept the serpea busy among themselve.

Btw how is the water flow in the tank? Betta need tank with very little or no water movement. Betta prefer to stay near the surface all the time so fast movement also might stress ur betta as they need to constantly swimming with their HUGE tail to remain at surface. If you looking into trying to breading betta, they need to build bubble nest which are fragile in tank with water movement.

Back
Top Bottom