Introduced play sand. Causing problems!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
So we put play sand in the tank after cleaning it to get the finer particles out -- and immediately the filter stopped [Aqua Clear 70 HOB] -- cleaned it all out and restarted it and it works 95% as good as new, also I put a nylon over the intake to reduce the amount of tiny tiny pieces of sand that would float into the filter, but -- now the output of the filter has obviously been drastically reduced to about 10% of what it used to be.

Problems: Possibly burning out the motor?

How do i use the play sand, and the HOB filter at the same time -- seamlessly?

Thank you, Noah.

I would turn off the filter and give the sand/dust clouds a chance to settle. Once settled I'd turn it on again. Hopefully that would allow it to run as it did prior to the introduction of the sand.

if you have a clear glass or cup you can put it around the intake of the filter, it works as a baffle and reduces the sand from coming in but allows water (obviously this wont work if your intake doesnt reach the ground) if the cup is a little bit of an eye sore, put a big decoration or plant in front to hide it.

Like:
img_799874_0_f41e698a9c92226c1c07d27b45c85903.jpg

might even use a tall drinking glass too

Zagz said:
Take apart the filter and clean the impellor. There may be sand particles in there.

Yeah we did this, and it got it running again. But I'm worried that the fish will disturb the sand continually and screw it all up again.

Yeti said:
if you have a clear glass or cup you can put it around the intake of the filter, it works as a baffle and reduces the sand from coming in...

Did this too! thanks. We'll see how it all goes now!

You can try making a prefilter with an Aquaclear sponge. Just cut it in half, or whatever size you need to cover the intake. Then cut a hole in the middle of the sponge and slide it on the intake. I don't know if that will filter out smaller particles than the nylon stocking, but it works great for my canister filters.

You might want to try pool filter sand. It should be heavier. I have it in my tanks without any problems. I've read that play sand may be too light, which I'm sure you realize.

theotheragentm said:
You might want to try pool filter sand. It should be heavier. I have it in my tanks without any problems. I've read that play sand may be too light, which I'm sure you realize.

Where do you purchase it? And is it lighter in color than play sand?

--Noah

Pool Filter Sand can be purchased at a Pool Supply store. The color depends on the store. I have some that is practically white and another that is a dark tan.

Fishyfanatic said:
Pool Filter Sand can be purchased at a Pool Supply store. The color depends on the store. I have some that is practically white and another that is a dark tan.

Mine was practically white under my lights, but it has darkened over time, partly due to the MTS on floor of the substrate.

I dunno if that will work honestly, I've always hear to use pool filter sand, I think pool sand is heavier and sinks better and thats why people use it

I used washed sand in one of my tanks which is basically the same as play sand i just let it settle and then turned my filter on no problems so far (it has been about a week) and my fish don't stir up the sand enough to get it into the filter but i keep the intake about 4 inches from the bottom

I've had play sand in my 55G for about 6 months and never had a problem with it in my filter. It sounds like you have the intake to close to the bottom. Once all the Really fine "dust" has cleared you shouldn't have any problems.

Back
Top Bottom