Introducing Betta to Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gouramii

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey I have a question about my betta...

I have a 20 G tank with 5 fish in it:

1. Dwarf Gourami (male)
2. Two honey gouramis (female)
3. Thick-lip gourami (female)
4. Doctor Fish (or) Gama Russu? (unknown)

As you can see, I have a labyrinth fish tank, excluding my bottom feeder. I have been keeping my betta in a seperate bowl right beside the tank.

I've read in a recent copy of a Aquarium magazine that a man has kept bettas with certain types of live bearers, small gouramis, and even angelfish.

This got me researching. One website agrees with this man and one website doesn't. Another website has told me that the betta may attack the dwarf gourami. I have lots of hiding places so my dwarf could be able to escape if my betta charged.

What are your guy's opinion on this subject? I have my betta floating in a bag in the tank right now (so I can monitor his reactions) and he seems to be flaring at my honey gouramis.

Is this a bad idea to include him in this set up? Is the flaring a bad thing to notice first thing? Please help me!

Flaring is aggressive behavior but it can be used to warn off fish to give him some space.

It all depends on the personality of the Betta and honestly time will tell.

Be prepared to yank him anything tho!

Hey I have a question about my betta...

I have a 20 G tank with 5 fish in it:

1. Dwarf Gourami (male)
2. Two honey gouramis (female)
3. Thick-lip gourami (female)
4. Doctor Fish (or) Gama Russu? (unknown)

As you can see, I have a labyrinth fish tank, excluding my bottom feeder. I have been keeping my betta in a seperate bowl right beside the tank.

I've read in a recent copy of a Aquarium magazine that a man has kept bettas with certain types of live bearers, small gouramis, and even angelfish.

This got me researching. One website agrees with this man and one website doesn't. Another website has told me that the betta may attack the dwarf gourami. I have lots of hiding places so my dwarf could be able to escape if my betta charged.

What are your guy's opinion on this subject? I have my betta floating in a bag in the tank right now (so I can monitor his reactions) and he seems to be flaring at my honey gouramis.

Is this a bad idea to include him in this set up? Is the flaring a bad thing to notice first thing? Please help me!

That article was full of bad information, but I don't disagree that bettas can sometimes get along fine with fish like gouramis and angels.

But, no way should a betta be added to that tank IMO. I have mixed a gourami and a betta in a larger heavily planted tank, but I really don't think one should be added to a 20 gal already housing four gouramis.

It would depend on the Betta, and the others involved. Here's my story.

I currently have a Betta in a tank with a Gold Gourami and an Opal Gourami. Prior to adding the Betta, The Opal was clearly in charge of the tank. He chased the Gold and starved it for food.

After the Betta was added.... the Betta soon asserted his way to the top of the pecking order, and the Opal Gourami stopped bullying the Gold. No one fights, or they have to answer to the Betta, who otherwise leaves them alone. You wouldn't know that the Betta is the smallest fish in the tank. Haha.

How is the current aggression level in the tank? Does everyone have their "place?"

My betta actually stopped the flaring. I watched him see one and didn't do anything.

I mean, every single aquarium is different, and maybe I could try to introduce him. My manager actually made the mistake of housing two bettas in one tank and they didn't fight once. That was a miracle in itself I think.

I could introduce him and if any fin nipping happens then I'll remove him immediately.

Or is that just a terrible, terrible mistake about to happen?

It would depend on the Betta, and the others involved. Here's my story.

I currently have a Betta in a tank with a Gold Gourami and an Opal Gourami. Prior to adding the Betta, The Opal was clearly in charge of the tank. He chased the Gold and starved it for food.

After the Betta was added.... the Betta soon asserted his way to the top of the pecking order, and the Opal Gourami stopped bullying the Gold. No one fights, or they have to answer to the Betta, who otherwise leaves them alone. You wouldn't know that the Betta is the smallest fish in the tank. Haha.

How is the current aggression level in the tank? Does everyone have their "place?"

No one bullies. Not a single fish. Everyone loves to feel each other with their "feelers." My dwarf is a shy guy but is the only guy and my thick lip likes to hang with the doctor fish and they actually share some bottom food like friends. So weird.

But no, no aggression in my tank. They don't even fight for food.

My hunch... is that adding a species like the Betta, to an already peaceful situation would be asking for trouble.

My hunch... is that adding a species like the Betta, to an already peaceful situation would be asking for trouble.

Put him in for 2 seconds and tried to attack my honey. Bad idea! Thanks for the advice everyone.

Back
Top Bottom