Introducing new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riane22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 55 gallon tank that houses 1 gourami 2 platys 1 rainbow fish 2 black skirt tetras and 1 cory catfish and 1 pleco. I bought some new fish to make my tank complete and they are currently in my 10 gallon quarantine tank. In a week or so, as soon as I know they are all healthy, I plan to add them to my big tank. What is the best way? A little at a time? Or all together?

8 or 9. Depends on who lives. I get fish from my petsmart, and have not had very good luck with them.

Riane22 said:
I currently have a 55 gallon tank that houses 1 gourami 2 platys 1 rainbow fish 2 black skirt tetras and 1 cory catfish and 1 pleco. I bought some new fish to make my tank complete and they are currently in my 10 gallon quarantine tank. In a week or so, as soon as I know they are all healthy, I plan to add them to my big tank. What is the best way? A little at a time? Or all together?

I'm new to them, but I know for a fact that someone is going to tell you you need a minimum of about 3-4 Cory Catfish for them to really thrive. So I thought I would jump on it and ask if your new fish include more Corys.

I did get one more cory, and would be willing to get more. I just thought that two would do fine. I have one in my 55 gallon right now and he is doing wonderful. I started out as a total newb, went to the pet store and bought a bunch of fish, went back, bought more. I have had alot of problems, (from 20 fish, down to 8 in the original tank) but now I am more researched but am still learning more. Why do corys do better in 3s? will 2 be enough?

Riane22 said:
I did get one more cory, and would be willing to get more. I just thought that two would do fine. I have one in my 55 gallon right now and he is doing wonderful. I started out as a total newb, went to the pet store and bought a bunch of fish, went back, bought more. I have had alot of problems, (from 20 fish, down to 8 in the original tank) but now I am more researched but am still learning more. Why do corys do better in 3s? will 2 be enough?

I'm not the best person to answer that; I got mine hardly a week ago and have been researching them like mad, as well as asking other people for advice. They're a shoaling fish: I can imagine their emotional well-being relies on being one of many. Maybe the stress of being alone is cumulative?

Cory's like to shoal with their own kind and a group of at least 6 is recommended. Tetra's also do best and feel more secure in schools of at least 6 as do rainbow fish which should be kept as 1 male to 2-3 females.

Rivercats said:
Cory's like to shoal with their own kind and a group of at least 6 is recommended. Tetra's also do best and feel more secure in schools of at least 6 as do rainbow fish which should be kept as 1 male to 2-3 females.

I hear 3-4 and I also hear 6 as a minimum. I think a thread should be opened in which everyone comes to a consensus on how many should be kept in one tank. :/

So I will get more of those, but back to my original question, how do I need them to add the new ones to my tank?

In smaller tanks you can't always keep 6 cory's so it depends on tanks size. But when fish in the wild like to either school or shoal with their own kind doesn't it make sense that more is better. And there is never going to be a consentual minimal number since there are millions of people with their own opinion of what it should be.

Personally I'd add 1/2 the fish, wait a week or two for the BB to build up to the new stocking level, then add the rest. Also not knowing what kind of fish I always add the most timid or smallest fish first then the larger or more territorial fish last.

Back
Top Bottom