Introducing new fish to a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

majormo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm planning a 20g planted tank with the following fish:

2 mystery snails
2 ghost shrimp
2 hunny gouramis
3-4 platies

What order should I introduce them into the new tank?

Platy first. Then gourami. Shrimp then snails.

Tanks need to be much more established for invert survival.

First of all, it is called Honey Gourami.

Secondly, tanks do not need to be established for mystery snails. Word of advice for mystery snails. There is a good chance you might get a male/female. If you do, they will mate. If they mate, the female has to go out of the water to lay her clutch of eggs. Mine did this and fell out of the tank, hitting her shell on the stand and broke it. They are ver adventurous and will climb out of the tank because they can. Fun snails to have though.

Third, you do not want two Honey Gouramis, or two of any Gourami alone. You need three females to every male. Two males will fight to the death in your tank. One male and one female, the male will chase the female to death. I have been both situations happen before. This is why I only have one male Honey Gourami in my tank. Otherwise, very peaceful and playful.

It is strongly recommended to cycle your tank before you place any fish in it. If you do not know what "cycling" means, look it up online or on this forum. If you don't, many fish will die in your tank. I hop this helps!

First of all, it is called Honey Gourami.

Secondly, tanks do not need to be established for mystery snails. Word of advice for mystery snails. There is a good chance you might get a male/female. If you do, they will mate. If they mate, the female has to go out of the water to lay her clutch of eggs. Mine did this and fell out of the tank, hitting her shell on the stand and broke it. They are ver adventurous and will climb out of the tank because they can. Fun snails to have though.

Third, you do not want two Honey Gouramis, or two of any Gourami alone. You need three females to every male. Two males will fight to the death in your tank. One male and one female, the male will chase the female to death. I have been both situations happen before. This is why I only have one male Honey Gourami in my tank. Otherwise, very peaceful and playful.

It is strongly recommended to cycle your tank before you place any fish in it. If you do not know what "cycling" means, look it up online or on this forum. If you don't, many fish will die in your tank. I hop this helps!

Ok thanks
Spelling has never read been my strong suit, and I planned on a fishless cycle. I was recommended because they are more peaceful than dwarf gourami, would to females get along better together?

Ok thanks
Spelling has never read been my strong suit, and I planned on a fishless cycle. I was recommended because they are more peaceful than dwarf gourami, would to females get along better together?

They are more peaceful than Dwarf Gouramis, but Gouramis can still snap. They will be perfectly fine in your tank though so don't worry. Two females will indeed get along, no problem. But it is very hard to find females. You would have to know what to look for, or buy them online. They are silver, so many stores don't want to carry them since they are not colorful.

Back
Top Bottom