introducing species to species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsotmoon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
recently i added some fish to my tank, what was labeled, Killi's at petsmart, i think there was something in front of it but i cant remember now...

1a3a39bb7d.jpg

anyway, while i was there i got 4 more neon tetra's, i have had one in my tank for almost a year, he was the lone survivor our of 5 for some reason, after i introduced the new neon's to the tank the older guy went right to them, is this normal, species recognizing species,even after a year, i thought fish werent that "smart"

i have had fish for years and a 55 gallon for almost about 7, i have introduced fish of the same species before but the neons "merged" like they had met each other years earlier, is this normal?

i beleive so when it comes to schooling fish...neons prefer large groups of them...they always tend to do better in groups...what size tank are they in right now? if its large enough, i would run out and get another 5-10 for them to be even happier...

Gordinho80 said:
...what size tank are they in right now? if its large enough, i would run out and get another 5-10 for them to be even happier...

its in a 55 but all together i have 27 fish, dont think i have room for many more

Purely instinctual for a scooling fish to head striaght for its species, nothing strange what so ever, its not a remember thing its instinct.

Unless your "Way" overstocked, liked to the gills (fish pun intended :lol: ) then you could add more 5-8 Neon's and they would barely make a difference, their body mass and waste output is so low.
They would be happier and show more natural behavioural patterns.

dsotmoon said:
recently i added some fish to my tank, what was labeled, Killi's at petsmart, i think there was something in front of it but i cant remember now...

It would have been "Golden Wonder Killifish". Nice buy.

Yes, very nice. THough I wonder, at full size, a small neon just might barely be small enough to fit into the mouth of an adult Golden Wonder?

Not sure about that...but I'd keep an eye open, especially if you get some more neons and they are at the smaller end.

Back
Top Bottom