Inverts for Serpae tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swankyspoon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Gang,

I have a 10g tank with 6 Serpae Tetras. I realize that my tank is maxed out for fish, but I was wondering if there were any inverts I could put in my tank for the sake of variety. Based on another thread I was thinking Olive Nerite Snails. But would Serpae leave them alone? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I should add that I want an invert that will not reproduce much (or even better at all).

nerites wont breed in freshwater so they could work. there is also the option for shrimp. amano shrimp wont breed in fw also. though if you did get something like cherry shrimp they would breed but the fish would most likely pick off most of the babies so they wouldnt get too out of hand.

Nerite snail or an amano shrimp would both be good choices. Ghost shrimp might work too, though being smaller than amanos, they are more likely to get picked at by your tetras. Still, adult ghost shrimp are probably big enough to avoid becoming lunch.

Actually JohnPaul they are not. Because i got about 10 ghost shrimp full grown and when i dumped them in the tank my serpeas started killing them. But the Amano shrimps are cool!
But you never know if they will kill them or not. So its like trial and error. =D

Actually JohnPaul they are not. Because i got about 10 ghost shrimp full grown and when i dumped them in the tank my serpeas started killing them. But the Amano shrimps are cool!
But you never know if they will kill them or not. So its like trial and error. =D

Ahh oh well then. Yeah you never know. Your Serpaes may even go after an amano shrimp then, hard to say. I've kept amanos in community tanks before with out issue--tanks that had everything from rainbowfish to swordtails to female bettas. Never had an issue. Then just last year I put an amano in a 10g tank with a lone female betta, and would pick at it relentlessly. Had to pull the amano out in less than 24 hours or it was going to be toast. I think I've kept amanos in tanks with about 5-6 other bettas in my life, both male & female, never had the slightest problem. But this one particular female betta just would not leave the amano alone. So yes, trial & error is sometimes the only way to learn.

BTW I also like BigJim's suggestion of a bamboo shrimp. I've only had one of those once, but it was a really interesting creature. They are filter feeders so it helps if you have a well-aged tank (ideally a planted one) and have something (piece of driftwood etc.) that is positioned right near your filter outflow so the shrimp can sit there and just filter the water as it comes out of your filter.

Back
Top Bottom