Iodine and Ghost Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zezmo

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have read in a few places about adding Iodine to a tank to help keep the Shrimp happy (Ghost Shrimp). The suggestions seem to say about 1 drop per 10ga of the Kent Marine Iodine, in a FW tank. Is this neccesary? Is it preferred? will it hurt my other fish and plant.

The references to this are few, but they are there. Anyone know anything more about this?

I have never heard of adding iodine to a tank for the ghost shrimp. I would be interested to know if this is something that needs to be done.

Iodine can become toxic to all life very quickly. Marine aquarists never dose iodine for their crabs/shrimp until they test it and know for a fact that they have too low of a level.
A good iodine test (Salifert) will run you $25, and may not work on freshwater.

There is absolutely no empirical evidence that freshwater shrimp are even capable of metabolizing aqueous iodine/iodine-based compounds from the water column. Moreover, the utility of iodine supplementation even for marine crustaceans is disputed.

Back
Top Bottom