Is 5 gallons really the minimum for FISH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I've heard on Yahoo! Answers that the minimum tank size for a FISH is 5 gallons, which is the betta splendens fish. Is that REALLY true? I mean I've seen people stock 3 gallon tanks with small endlers or guppies. I guess the activeness of the fish really matter as well.

IMO ... 5 gallons are only suitable as a QT or a shrimp tank. Anything smaller for fish is absurd.

bud29 said:
Yeah, a 5 gallon is really the minimum for fish. It could be a shrimp tank, QT tank, or you could have 1 Betta or 1 dwarf puffer.

Yeah. Not that I'm guilty of putting fish in such a small environment LOL, but yes. Dwarf puffers are quite small, I'd say one would do fine in a 5 gallon. I'm turning my small 1 gallon (filtered) into a shrimp and java fern tank

No, a 5g is not a minimum for fish. There are some extreme nano species like least killifish and pygmy sunfish. Both would be fine in a 2.5 gallon tank. I also wouldn't use a 5 for QT because some larger fish would be cramped. There are a ton of nano fish that would do well in a 5 gallon though: chili rasboras, other dwarf rasboras, a dwarf puffer, a betta, many species of killifish (such as gardneris, australes, and akure) and danionella dracula (these are TINY. Half an inch at adult size)

maxwellag said:
No, a 5g is not a minimum for fish. There are some extreme nano species like least killifish and pygmy sunfish. Both would be fine in a 2.5 gallon tank. I also wouldn't use a 5 for QT because some larger fish would be cramped. There are a ton of nano fish that would do well in a 5 gallon though: chili rasboras, other dwarf rasboras, a dwarf puffer, a betta, many species of killifish (such as gardneris, australes, and akure) and danionella dracula (these are TINY. Half an inch at adult size)

Yes.. I thought that there is species which can fit in a tank of less than 5g .

Yes.. I thought that there is species which can fit in a tank of less than 5g .

Yes there are nano fish you could put in a 5gal like those mentioned above ... And they would do well. As personal preference, why, when a 10 gal isn't that much of a larger footprint than a 5gal gives fish a bit more room.

BTW... Is it me or do some of you find 5gal tanks MORE expensive than a 10gal?
My Petco doesn't include 5gal in the $1. / gal sale.

I do find 5g where I am expensive. They are£80 where I am. That's just for the tank and lights. Nothing else.

jcolon said:
Yes there are nano fish you could put in a 5gal like those mentioned above ... And they would do well. As personal preference, why, when a 10 gal isn't that much of a larger footprint than a 5gal but does give fish me more room.

I do. Lol. I am spending $200-$300 on my 5g and i spent like $50 on my 10g.

Huh? I don't get it ... Is it because they are hard to manufacture(doubtful) or they just don't sell as well? :confused:

BTW ... I was just referring to just the glass boxes ... Not kits. But yes i've heard of others spending much more for 5gals than 10gals. Guess This is one of those instances when less is more!:facepalm:

I think 2.5g is fine for some solitary nano species, including betta. That being said, 5g are better due to the effects of volume (and to a lesser extent footprint). I would never put multiple fish(chili rasboras, etc) in anything smaller than a rectangular (ie not hex) 5g.

jcolon said:
Huh? I don't get it ... Is it because they are hard to manufacture(doubtful) or they just don't sell as well? :confused:

BTW ... I was just referring to just the glass boxes ... Not kits. But yes i've heard of others spending much more for 5gals than 10gals. Guess This is one of those instances when less is more!:facepalm:

Oh. Well yeah, at my petsmart 2.5s and 10gs cost the same thing: $15

I have my betta in a 3 gallon...not saying it's ideal, I plan on getting him a 5 or bigger at some point, but for now 3 is just fine and he's a happy little boy.

maxwellag said:
Oh. Well yeah, at my petsmart 2.5s and 10gs cost the same thing: $15

Wow lol I wish they were that cheap at my petsmart.

maxwellag said:

I spent a 150 on a 90 gallon there is no way that u are paying 200-300 on a 5 if you are going to pay that for one I will build it for you will a built in over flow

jcolon said:
Yes there are nano fish you could put in a 5gal like those mentioned above ... And they would do well. As personal preference, why, when a 10 gal isn't that much of a larger footprint than a 5gal gives fish a bit more room.

You are right about 5 gallons being more expensive. Fluval Chi 5 gallon costs more than twice the amount for an Aqueon 10

datkush said:
I have my betta in a 3 gallon...not saying it's ideal, I plan on getting him a 5 or bigger at some point, but for now 3 is just fine and he's a happy little boy.

You are very responsible and considerate for that

I am a newbie and am currently doing a fishless cycle on my 5 gallon tank. You will find a lot of opinions here saying that you can only put 1 fish in a tank this size. There are some who have more than that and have said that they have done well. I think you could do a few small fish as long as you do a lot of water changes. I have told people that I plan on putting a female Betta, a julli catfish, and a molly in mine and the opinions have been mixed. I plan on doing 2 water changes a week, 1 gravel cleaning a week, I have live plants in the tank to help the fish. So half have said this should be OK, others have said this is too much. IMO I don't think this will be overstocked and as long as the water is maintained many have told me this will be OK. So take everything that everyone says here with a grain of salt. While I wouldn't put a lot of fish in a 5 gallon tank, if you restrict yourself to a few small fish, you might be OK. Take everyone's opinions, do your research and make up your own mind.

Back
Top Bottom