Is a 2g tank good for anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afishoutofh2o

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, so I have just started out into the wide wonderful world of aquariums.
I am afraid to say that my start was an impulse purchase - seven 1" fantail goldfish in a 2g (cringing as I write this). Can you believe that the lfs didn't say anything to me?
Anyway, when I got them home I read the enclosed startup booklet and realized that these goldies were in BIG trouble. The next day I purchased a 10g tank and transferred them over (I'm saving up for a larger tank). The tank was still overcrowded and 5 of the fish died of ammonia poisoning.
Anyway, now I am fishlessly cycling the 2g tank. Is a 2g good for anything other than a QT?
I can't stand waste but if it really isn't a good home for any type of fish I will dispose of it when I get my larger tank and can use my 10g for a QT.
Sigh.

Maybe a betta, african dwarf frog, mystery snail, crayfish, maybe even a couple of cloud minnows. Any of these could "survive" a 2 gallon but I am not sure how "happy" they would be. My betta use to be in a 2 gallon and it never seemed to move or do anything. When I moved the betta to the 10 gallon it was much happier and active, (though I suspect much of this change could be attributed to heat vs space. However the betta does cruise around the entire 10 gallon and is very active in the whole space.

On pea or dwarf puffer?

Thats the only thing I can think of

Also, keep in mind that goldfish need 10gal per fish when you buy your larger goldfish tank

A betta makes a great beginner fish -- they are tough, they are attractive, they are easy to take care of, and they have such great personalities. Stick in a silk plant (as plastic plants can tear their fins) and a cave for him to hide in, and you've got a perfect betta home.

Back
Top Bottom