Is a Fluval 305 or 405 too much flow for a 29 gal tall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ciph3ro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I found both of these filters in my area used for sale for $50 each! :dance:

Right now I have a Fluval C3 so it would be a huge upgrade but I'm worried about the flow being too much.
Please help me out :)

I have a medium-heavily planted tank with about 25 fish :fish2:.

I'm saving up to buy a house and get a bigger tank or two so they will come in handy I'm sure.

Thank you.

If you're planning on a bigger tank, get them anyways, but the 305 is rated for 70, ratings don't really mean too much. Most of us think they fudge those. It might be just right depending on what you have in the tank and of course you can make a sprayer bar to help with the outflow.

Too much flow only limits a few species of fish. But creates ideal environment for some. Ie a variety of loaches.
Get a 405 and enjoy looking at crystal clear water

I would pick both up and resell them they are worth at least 80-100$ each and I would use either one on a 29 gallon as long as your not keeping fish like angels or discus. And that tanks is to small for those fish anyway so you should be good also they have a flow adjustment on them so you could just turn it down if needed. Great find too...

If you're planning on a bigger tank, get them anyways, but the 305 is rated for 70, ratings don't really mean too much. Most of us think they fudge those. It might be just right depending on what you have in the tank and of course you can make a sprayer bar to help with the outflow.

I can definitely make a sprayer bar if I need to to help diffuse the flow. Thanks for the suggestion.

I asked if I can pay her $90 for them and pick them up tonight :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Too much flow only limits a few species of fish. But creates ideal environment for some. Ie a variety of loaches.
Get a 405 and enjoy looking at crystal clear water

I plan to get both and keep one for later.

I have neon tetras, some mollies, a honey dwarf gourami, Siamese algae eaters and oto cats, also a bigger Chinese algae eater that chimps down on older tougher algae.

Funny you mentioned loaches because I have a hillstream loach and 2 yoyo loaches (planning to add 2 more slowly). I'm also getting 8 rummynose tetras today for a nice school.

My only worry is that my tank is almost fully planted. It's not the jungle I hope it too be yet but it's getting there.

I would pick both up and resell them they are worth at least 80-100$ each and I would use either one on a 29 gallon as long as your not keeping fish like angels or discus. And that tanks is to small for those fish anyway so you should be good also they have a flow adjustment on them so you could just turn it down if needed. Great find too...

Oh wow. Thank you for the flow adjustment mention; I didn't even think about that. With flow set lower they would be perfect.

Yeah, I would never keep discus or angels in a tank this size. I have a 29 gal because it's the biggest size that I can move easily with 2 people. I'm renting right now and the average house here is a million, so I have some saving up to do to buy a house. Then I'm getting a monster tank. Until then I have to be patient... Hehe.

Thanks for the advice. I really like this forum and I'm glad I joined it after reading threads hundreds of times looking for info.

Appreciate it.
Here are some pictures btw. Should have attached one before.

Attachments

• 1389893970305.jpg
    1389893970305.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 1389893992944.jpg
    1389893992944.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 1389894008241.jpg
    1389894008241.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 65
I'm saving up to buy a house and get a bigger tank or two

Haha, you can dream! The first thing (house) will trump the latter. Ask me how I know. ;)

Honestly, If you could get them both for $90 I'd do it in a heartbeat. I run a 406 and love it. You won't regret having them.

Tank looks great too!

Thank you. Yeah, I'm waiting for her reply. If not I'll pay a hundred.

Hehe. I was worried about that. I can however easily pay car and house payments and have money left over though. I'm lucky to have a high paying job after years and years of school.

Hopefully I can still push my computer, car and aquarium hobbies like i do now :)

It might still be dreaming though; have to live and see.

I have a 305 for my 55g tank - I have found that when I need to I can control the flow of the water with the lever on the aquastop. However, I dont think the flow is going to be too strong. If you direct the output towards the side of the tank it semi-slows (and redirects) the water flow, but my fish don't seem to mind it. I think they swim "up stream" as a way to exercise. LOL

I have a filstar xpm canister on my 29g ...which is to say it's over rated for my tank. It states it's rated for up to see 75g. In lieu of the spray nozzle I point the output towards the back wall (but still somewhat pointed towards the filter intake)and if you can pictures that :) lol it works out well.

Back
Top Bottom