Is a glass top needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterpenguin4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 10 gallon planted tank with a hood and incandescent lights but I am getting a LED that sits on legs over the tank. Do I need to have a glass top or will no top be fine?

In this case yes you want a glass top, if for no other reason than to prevent flying projectiles from going into your tank. A very likely scenario when kids are lurking about.

Glass top disadvantages: reflects some light, needs to be clean.

Glass top advantages: keeps fish in, keeps stray objects out, reduce evaporation loss.

I wouldn't say the glass top is necessary, but I personally haven't had a tank without one.

Good luck!

I never use glass tops but I also don't use any LED's. I have all T5HO's and Metal Halides over my tanks and I just don't like tops.

Get the glass top my friend. I had a LED fixture over a ten gallon on a shelf under my 50 gallon. Cat bumped light, light goes swimming. Still worked for a bit but then a wire detached from it's solder spot. I know. Very stupid to not secure the fixture and I regret not getting a lid. Cats actually leave fish completely alone so there was no malicious intent on her bump. All my fault for not having a lid.

I don't like mesh tops, or open tops. IMO, they let off to much evaporation, which in my little bedroom makes things VERY humid. So I'd go with a solid top.

I use egg crate from Home Depot, it is inexpensive and you can cut it to suit your needs. I do have some evaporation but then it lets in lots of light.

Back
Top Bottom