Is a micro diffuser okay for no co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I got my pump and air stone today because I don't like the look of big bubbles from normal air stones so I got a ceramic micro bubble diffuser, are these better for a non co2 tank rather than the other ones or are they strictly for co2

https://youtu.be/zGLHAtIgBoU

I wouldn’t think so. You are not getting o2 into the tank from the bubbles themselves but rather due to the surface agitation it causes from the bubbles.

I wouldn’t think so. You are not getting o2 into the tank from the bubbles themselves but rather due to the surface agitation it causes from the bubbles.
So you don't think this diffuser is better than a basic AirStone, I also run an aquaclear 110 and a aquaclear 70

So you don't think this diffuser is better than a basic AirStone, I also run an aquaclear 110 and a aquaclear 70

I do not think it would be better but probably not worse. I do not think a co2 diffuser dissolves o2 the same way it does co2. As you can see the bubbles just go straight to the surface not dissolving in water. So you are getting o2 the same way an airstone does by causing surface movement.

If you are wanting the most o2 what I use is a powerhead that hits the surface. The more the water on the surface is disturbed the more o2. So it all depends on what your goal is. If you like the way it looks by all means.

I do not think it would be better but probably not worse. I do not think a co2 diffuser dissolves o2 the same way it does co2. As you can see the bubbles just go straight to the surface not dissolving in water. So you are getting o2 the same way an airstone does by causing surface movement.
This is an o2 diffuser not a co2 diffuser, it's an air stone for sensitive fish like betas tetras
Wait is for both, oxygen and co2

This is an o2 diffuser not a co2 diffuser, it's an air stone for sensitive fish like betas tetras

My understanding is airstones do not dissolve o2 directly in the water but like I said allows o2 in by disturbing the surface.

I will do research on o2 diffusers. But my thinking is same concept as typical airstone and not directly dissolving o2 in the water. I could be wrong.

If you don't like bubbles in tank (I don't like too) you can use your power head for surface agitation. It produces more oxygen then bubbles do because it makes the water surface move faster. More current means more oxygen.

Here is an old video of my brackish tank but I an using same procedure for all my tanks. I place my powerhead filter above so it can create surface agitation

https://youtu.be/02cwn-d6DBM

Or also you can use hang on back filter for water agitation like my nano tank has

https://youtu.be/hNuzCCmjbC4

But powerhead creates great current and your tank will be always fully oxygenated.

My understanding is airstones do not dissolve o2 directly in the water but like I said allows o2 in by disturbing the surface.

I will do research on o2 diffusers. But my thinking is same concept as typical airstone and not directly dissolving o2 in the water. I could be wrong.
From what I've read micro bubblers are way better at oxygenating the water than large, I have to do more research.

I have an aquaclear 110 and an aquaclear 70 on a 55 I wanted to make a micro bubble wall as you should have an airstone in a planted tank co2 or not as when you go lights off the plants use oxygen and emit co2, micro bubblers agitate the surface better than bigger bubbles due to I guess there's 50x more bubbles just what I read not 100% sure.

The larger bubbles, to a point, will move more water than the smaller bubbles.
Yes, plants use oxygen at night but that usually offsets the amount of oxygen they produce during the day.

I use a powerhead that moves the surface 24/7. This does three things for me and more than any airstone or the like will be able to do. It creates good flow in the tank that is important for the plants. It helps to distribute the co2 better through the whole tank. It also creates so much o2 that I safely have about 45ppm co2 during the day. My drop checker is yellow. Without this powerhead my fish would be gasping but due to the high o2 from it I can use more co2. Also because I run it 24/7 it helps with the o2 at night as well and also off gasses any extra co2 and other possible gasses. Also I just hate the look of bubbles from any airstone or diffuser.

I use a powerhead that moves the surface 24/7. This does three things for me and more than any airstone or the like will be able to do. It creates good flow in the tank that is important for the plants. It helps to distribute the co2 better through the whole tank. It also creates so much o2 that I safely have about 45ppm co2 during the day. My drop checker is yellow. Without this powerhead my fish would be gasping but due to the high o2 from it I can use more co2. Also because I run it 24/7 it helps with the o2 at night as well and also off gasses any extra co2 and other possible gasses. Also I just hate the look of bubbles from any airstone or diffuser.
I don't run co2, I have 2 aquaclears a 110 and a 70, I have been researching and found this

"Smaller bubbles create a lot more surface area per volume of air. Larger bubbles have less surface area per volume of air but create more flow than smaller bubbles" from this link on advanced aquarium concepts it's a good read as they say airstone with the proper flow actually creates more movement than a power head
http://advancedaquariumconcepts.com/air-bubbles-do-actively-aerate/

I have plenty of surface movement I just know an airstone helps stir debris which helps also in elimination of snails because the leftover food /debris gets broken up into the water and sucked into the filter so the snails starve, thanks for the replies I should of said im not using this for co2.

Many of us suggested powerheads but seems like OPs mind is set for bubbles.

Nothing wrong with using air/bubbles for aeration and circulation. Like with anything, there are pros and cons. I don’t use it because of the noise associated with the air pump and the spray caused by the popping bubbles.

Nothing wrong with using air/bubbles for aeration and circulation. Like with anything, there are pros and cons. I don’t use it because of the noise associated with the air pump and the spray caused by the popping bubbles.
Agree. I used all my life. But now switched to power heads option as more oxygen and original look. Wave makers also a great choice.

Many of us suggested powerheads but seems like OPs mind is set for bubbles.
I have tetras, so a strong current won't work in my tank I have to baffle my hob's just so they don't blow around the tank lol, I appreciate the advice though.

How are you baffling the HOB filter output? A mod that I’ve used for these filters consists of taking a plastic strip (the kind that comes with hinged glass tops), cutting it to a width that matches the filter’s lip, soaking in hot water to allow you to bend it, and finally, placing it on the filter. It allows you to direct the flow along the surface and minimize splash.

How are you baffling the HOB filter output? A mod that I’ve used for these filters consists of taking a plastic strip (the kind that comes with hinged glass tops), cutting it to a width that matches the filter’s lip, soaking in hot water to allow you to bend it, and finally, placing it on the filter. It allows you to direct the flow along the surface and minimize splash.
I have them crammed full of filter floss 1/2 an extra sponge it filters better actually cause it's a slower process more contact with the filtration, it still splashes pretty hard but not enough where my tetras hide in the corner in a dead spot anymore.

Just have to be careful cause the filter floss can clog up fast and over flow the filter, So I have to check them every other day.

Back
Top Bottom