Is a puffer okay for my freshwater? Please and thanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PleaseHelp

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello. I would like some south american puffers (I like weird freshwater fish) and do not know how aggressive they will be. I own 5 neon tetras, 2 platys, red tetras (serpae tetras) 2 botia loaches (they are quite inactive, occasionally nip fins, nothing too bad) 3 zebra danios, and a marble danio. I really want a puffer, but don't want to disrupt the peace. Please explain if i can add a SAP. Side note: I am 11 and don't have much money to experiment, so I would not like to risk adding one if they are aggressive.

P.S: Could you please reccomend an oddball for my tank that are compatible with my fish? (A shrimp, less aggressive puffer, eel (Not peacock, i've had several to no success </3)

The SAP'S are often recommended as community puffers because they're freshwater- but it's a hit or miss. And if it's a miss, it could be a massacre. Every puffer has their own personality, so you could get one that doesn't mind tank mates, or one that can't stand them.
Another thing to consider is they can be fine one day then snap the next. Personally I wouldn't recommend one for the tank.

Not only are puffers aggressive, but they're big waste producers. Puffers aren't for beginners, they're sensitive and require great water parameters. The South American Puffer in particular isn't a good place to start if you want to keep puffers. They have the fastest growth rate for their teeth. Even with plenty of snails and hard shelled foods their beak often still has to be trimmed manually. I keep many species of puffer but have avoided them myself because of this.
In the future when you start a second tank, a dwarf puffer can be kept in a 5 gallon. (Alone) and is the best puffer to start out with.

As for oddball recommendations, what's your tank size?

Thank you so much for the review it helped so much :) I have a 50 gallon, lightly planted if you could even call it that (a whopping 3 plants oh wow!) with a few hiding places.

Have you looked into Bamboo shrimp before? They may be a good option for the tank. I'm not sure on their compatibility with the others but believe they're often kept with Tetras.

Sorry I don't have more
suggestions, but I'm out of my area with your current stock. They're just that really common fish I don't have experience with myself.

SAP's are not recommended for a beginner they are difficult to keep by advanced puffer keepers. They need to be in a group of 4 or more to keep from stressing. They need lots of swimming room for a 75 would be good for the group. They need allot of filtration as they need pristine water and they have a high bio load.

All puffers are aggressive. Actually most oddballs that I can think of are aggressive

my favorite odd ball is the black ghost knife you should look into them. they arent very aggressive except with there own kind.

Black ghost are not suited for a 50g I wouldn't do one in less then a 100g. But a brown knife can work as well as a African butterfly fish ora school of half beaks. I personally would keep any puffer as species only for their aggression and the chances for them to be little fish killers. Hatchet fish are cool little oddballs also, though you will need a tight lid

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The South American Puffer in particular isn't a good place to start if you want to keep puffers. They have the fastest growth rate for their teeth. Even with plenty of snails and hard shelled foods their beak often still has to be trimmed manually. I keep many species of puffer but have avoided them myself because of this.

My vet used to see my puffers more than my dogs lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My vet used to see my puffers more than my dogs lol.

I believe it.
I'd like to learn how to do it myself before keeping them. But if I never get the courage to do it, they're going to the vets.

I prefer the vet, fish are easier to handle sedated. A friend of mine has a video on YouTube of his puffer getting a trim.

Take a look at a red tailed red eye puffer. They stay small & are full freshwater not brackish. Cool little fish, but can be aggressive in numbers so try one and see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom