Is a rams couple compatible with my setup ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrvincent

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I'm just interested to know if a couple of rams will fit with my current setup.

Here's what in my 29g:
- 7x tetra neons (will they fight ?)
- 8x cardinalis (will they fight ?)
- 6x normal lampeye killifish (will they fight ?) (They'll probably get removed)
- 10x red cherry shrimp (will they eat them ?)
- Lot of differents snails (will they eat them ?)

- 3x siamensis algae eaters (will they fight ?) I read they agressive with catfish and corydos because of the way ramz drop their eggs...

Water params:
Temp 25C°
PH 6.6 - 7
GH 4
KH 2

Another question: Do they jump ? I have topless aquarium and don't think putting a top is an option.

Another question: If my tank is heavy planted, do they need caves in rocks to hide ?

Thanks for any infos, I don't know so much abouts ramz, I never dealed with them.

Ok I believe Siamese algae eaters get to big for your tank, there is a very good chance that rams would fight with neons cardinals and shrimp, In my opinion they don't fit well in that tank

The rams will not bother any of the fish but the shrimp will be fair game. The like heavily planted tanks with DW and such but I've never put caves in for them. The breed on flat rocks or in the substrate and honestly they are not the monsters they have been made out to be when spawning either. All my tanks are open top and in all the years I've kept rams I've yet to have one jump ship.

The rams will not bother any of the fish but the shrimp will be fair game. The like heavily planted tanks with DW and such but I've never put caves in for them. The breed on flat rocks or in the substrate and honestly they are not the monsters they have been made out to be when spawning either. All my tanks are open top and in all the years I've kept rams I've yet to have one jump ship.

Ok I'll wait to see if my killie still jump out of tank after lowered a bit the water level of my topless 29g. At now they breed a bit, I have 4 fry and 1egg, this will replace the stock that have suicided.

I'll see if I want to replace killies + RCS for couple of Rams...

You can keep the killi's with the rams but they are jumpers for sure! I have them in my Nuvo 24g rimless and keep a glass cover on the tank. The Rachovii killi's in the 220g have never jumped and I have rams in there, at one time I have 11 rams in there.

Ok I believe Siamese algae eaters get to big for your tank, there is a very good chance that rams would fight with neons cardinals and shrimp, In my opinion they don't fit well in that tank

Have you kept rams before? Neons and cardinals are very common tank mates for rams. Unless you end up with an exceptionally aggressive specimen (which isn't unheard of, but is not by any means a common experience), those fish should be fine together. Ditto for the lampeye killifish.

OP, your neons, cardinals, and lampeyes prefer to be kept in groups so no, you aren't going to see fighting there. It is likely that the rams will eat your shrimp so you may want to move those to another tank.

SAE are on the large side for a 29 gallon IMO. They will be ok as juveniles, but you'll probably want to move them to a larger tank once they get some size on them.

Rams stay almost exclusively in the bottom 1/3 of the tank. They aren't jumpers. They don't need caves and rocks, but would appreciate them.

Have you kept rams before? Neons and cardinals are very common tank mates for rams. Unless you end up with an exceptionally aggressive specimen (which isn't unheard of, but is not by any means a common experience), those fish should be fine together. Ditto for the lampeye killifish.

OP, your neons, cardinals, and lampeyes prefer to be kept in groups so no, you aren't going to see fighting there. It is likely that the rams will eat your shrimp so you may want to move those to another tank.

SAE are on the large side for a 29 gallon IMO. They will be ok as juveniles, but you'll probably want to move them to a larger tank once they get some size on them.

Rams stay almost exclusively in the bottom 1/3 of the tank. They aren't jumpers. They don't need caves and rocks, but would appreciate them.

Ok so if I get rid of my SAEs, and breed my RCS in another tank, with what I can replace them ? I would like to have a "cleaning fish" with that... Like corydos...

So rams don't jump ?

On of my SAE suicided this morning :( I found it dry on the floor :(

Any fish is capable of jumping but I've never lost a ram to jumping before. They don't tend to stay in the upper levels and when startled or spooked usually dive for cover.

Corydoras should do fine.

I was thinking about Corys. Pandas. So in a 29g the build will be this
AquStockImage.php

What can I put instead of corys for cleaning ? I know they only eat what's in substrate...

Or maybe I could replace my killies and siamensis by corys... So I could keep my shrimps... I have a real infestation of snails, but it doesn't bother me and I love the way they clean, so would like to keep them...

AqAdvisor say that
Warning: Pond Snail may become food for German Blue Ram.
Warning: Cherry Shrimp may become food for German Blue Ram.

Rams usually like caves to hide in and like places to explore. Corys won't bother eggs. Cherry shrimp will be food for the ram.

Rams usually like caves to hide in and like places to explore. Corys won't bother eggs. Cherry shrimp will be food for the ram.

Yeah I know, that's why i'm considering not buying rams.... Anyway, my aquascape is already in place and I don't want to change anything for now...

I think replace siamensis by corys pandas and replace my killies for non jumping schooling fish... I've topless aquarium

Anybody know an easy breedable schooling fish that don't jump and fit with my neons/cardinals at 25-26C° ?

I don't have any caves in any of my tanks that contain rams. All my tanks are planted and all but one has DW and the rams are just fine.

I don't have any caves in any of my tanks that contain rams. All my tanks are planted and all but one has DW and the rams are just fine.

Yeah I've learned this to be a misconception. Seems Rams and Apistos have fallen into the same category in regards to needs and preference when in actuality they are slightly different. Whereas rams enjoy warm waters into the low to mid 80's, Apistos prefer mid to high 70's. The cave suggestion applies more to Apistos but even as Rivercats stated, plenty of plants and cover from driftwood would work all the same. If conditions are right I've seen rams spawn out in the open on a decoration so cave or not it makes no difference IME.

So have I, and I've had them spawn in caves. They do seem to appreciate caves but they aren't necessary.

Back
Top Bottom