Is ammonia the same as pH.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake_71

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a test kit that tests 5 levels in my freshwater tank. But one of them is not ammonia. But one of them is pH. I have a pH level of 7.0 but does my pH level the same as ammonia. I have never tested ammonia in my tank but do I need to get ammonia test kit or is my pH test strip testing ammonia?

I have a test kit that tests 5 levels in my freshwater tank. But one of them is not ammonia. But one of them is pH. I have a pH level of 7.0 but does my pH level the same as ammonia. I have never tested ammonia in my tank but do I need to get ammonia test kit or is my pH test strip testing ammonia?

PH is not the same as ammonia. I recommend that you look into purchasing an api master test kit. They are inexpensive and rather accurate. test strips IMO are inaccurate and a waste of money.

if ur test kit tests 5 levels what are the other levels if it does not test ammonia?
most kits or strips test ammonia / ph / nitrite /nitrate

if u have never tested for ammonia before it is very important that you do. Ammonia , nitrite and high levels of nitrate are toxic to your fish. Calf recommended a good test kit to buy..I use the same one

My test kit measures all of these: chlorine nitrite nitrate alkalinity hardness and pH. But no ammonia. And how do u know if I have high ammonia? I have some brown algae in my tank but is that from ammonia or just leaving my tank light on to long?

Attachments

• image-1506322364.jpg
    image-1506322364.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 88
algae is not from ammonia. i would stop using those test strips personally, like Calfishguy said, they are inaccurate. Looks like your test strips don't read for ammonia, they might sell ammonia test strips seperately

I am buying an ammonia test kit this week sometime and I am also going to get a new 5-in-1 kit to. I'll take your suggestion into consideration I just have to do my research. But can high ammonia cause aggression because some of my normally peaceful fish are becoming aggressive to the others.

Ammonia is not the same as ph. Ammonia is the amount of fish/food waste accumulating in your tank water. Ph is the acidity of your water. As your tank sets up (biological filter), ammonia turns to nitrites and then to nitrates. Partial water changes (pwc) remove nitrates. And the cycle goes on and on (ideally). Ph is the least of your concerns as long is it stays stable. In my experience, my tap water determines the ph, and I wouldn't do much to try and adjust it. Although ph is related to ammonia toxicity, ammonia levels are your biggest concern for weekly testing. Nitrites are a concern if you are having a problem (death), and nitrates are the end result of the process so just do a pwc every week. If you are on a budget, get the API liquid ammonia test until you can afford the master kit. Stay away from the strips. I am curious what kit you have that doesn't test ammonia and what it does test.

Ammonia is not the same as ph. Ammonia is the amount of fish/food waste accumulating in your tank water. Ph is the acidity of your water. As your tank sets up (biological filter), ammonia turns to nitrites and then to nitrates. Partial water changes (pwc) remove nitrates. And the cycle goes on and on (ideally). Ph is the least of your concerns as long is it stays stable. In my experience, my tap water determines the ph, and I wouldn't do much to try and adjust it. Although ph is related to ammonia toxicity, ammonia levels are your biggest concern for weekly testing. Nitrites are a concern if you are having a problem (death), and nitrates are the end result of the process so just do a pwc every week. If you are on a budget, get the API liquid ammonia test until you can afford the master kit. Stay away from the strips. I am curious what kit you have that doesn't test ammonia and what it does test.

very well said..and I'd like add if you are not checking your ammonia you should be doing frequent water changes. How long has your tank been up and running?

About 11 months. I started looking through all my fish tank chemicals and food and found a bottle of safe start that I used when I started my tank. It says reduces ammonia. Should I use this in my tank?

Attachments

• image-2629988717.jpg
    image-2629988717.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 123
My tank is cycling and I have only had one fish death so far in this hobby and that was because I used a algae killed in my tank that got one of my mollies sick. Well I am going to try to get a ammonia test kit tomorrow and see what it reads.

No, throw it out. It causes a million bubbles on the surface of the tank water. Get Seachem Prime as a water conditioner to use when you are doing your pwc's. Again, the ammonia test is key.

My tank is cycling and I have only had one fish death so far in this hobby and that was because I used a algae killed in my tank that got one of my mollies sick. Well I am going to try to get a ammonia test kit tomorrow and see what it reads.

if ur tank has been running for 11 months your tank is done cycling. A properly function bio filter should be converting your ammonia to >>nitrite>> nitrate and when you do a water change it will lower the nitrate. Don't use chemicals to remove nitrate or ammonia. Water changes will remove them

+1 on using Prime

Back
Top Bottom