Is an air pump really needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Titus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I read in another forum that i did not need an air filter in the tank if I was using a canister filter. Any ideas/thoughts on this? Using a Filstar XP2 on the new tank, havent picked up an airpump for it yet, kinda hoping to skip it if possible. Any help would be great.
thanks

No you don't need it. So long as the surface of your water is agitated, they should be getting enough oxygen. The air pump is good to keep around though incase your filter goes out, or you can get a battery powered one for if you lose power.

the output from the filter is under water, so the surface really isnt that agitated. I was under the thought that the water running thru the filter's mechanical filtration would oxygenate the water.?.

uuuhh, I'm not totally positive on this, but I believe that most oxygen exchange happens at the water's surface. The more you break up the surface of the water, the more exchange you get. What I do is keep the water level just above the output on my canisters so they ripple the water.

the bacteria that converts your NH3 and NO2 to NO3 consume O2 and it will be in the mechanical filtration media.. if you have no surface turbulence you can turn the spraybar upward until the surface of the water ripples.. that would be sufficient..

I don't think they're necessary. The only reason i have mine are for decoration (bubble stones) and in case i need it for something like an undergravel filter ( so incase if i buy one get home and be like DANG IT!)

There will be plenty of oxygen exchange even with minor surface ripples. In planted tanks with CO2 added it is best if you can keep the surface as still as possible to avoid loosing your CO2. And the fish survive fine.

works for me, will try it with no air, turned the spray bar up till i had nice ripples on surface, and not so much current under the surface. The cycle fish are enjoying the lesser current so we shall see how it goes. Thanks folks.

I have an old ehiem canister filter. I hang the spray bar from the top of the aquarium and let it fall into the water. Created bubbles everywhere. I hate air pumps, always breaking down. laters.

I use a Rena Filstar XP 3 in my 90 gal tank. I also use a large 100 gal triple flow corner filter as I think an XP3 might be just below what I need, so I added the corner filter. It is described well in Doctors Foster&Smith's catalog. And before you poo poo them as old stuff not to be use today read this:

good info on air pumps and triple flow corner filters.
http://www.csupomona.edu/~jskoga/Aquariums/Cornerfilter.html
caudelfin

Back
Top Bottom