Is bigger really better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StellaStars

Aquarium Advice Activist
It was supposed to be so simple... I got a 5G kit for my desk. Just something pretty to look at while I work. Then the MTS set in big time.

I've spent every free moment the last several weeks researching fish, researching tanks, and measuring every conceivable surface in my house. I've also been spending enough time at two local fish stores that I get greeted by name.

I have a tiny house, so not a lot of options of where to put tanks. I've thought about another tank on my desk, a tank on a bookshelf, or maybe one in my bedroom or in the kitchen. At most I've been considering 20 gallons, and that's a stretch.

Today I gave my living room a hard look and had a thought... there a bookcase that could go... (Is multi bookcase syndrome a thing? I have that.)

With that rearrangement I'd have room for a larger tank and stand, with easy access to an outlet. Could probably fit a 55 gallon easily in that space.

Everyone says bigger is better. Fewer swings in water chemistry, more fish options, etc.

But the idea of setting something like that up is daunting. There's the sheer cost of the tank and stand. And then the increased cost of stocking more/fancier fish. Not to mention plants and decor.

But where I'm really concerned is figuring out more elaborate filtration systems and the like - it seems like a lot of tech (even with out Co2)

Also, if there is a problem, seems like there's more opportunity for it to be catastrophic. A leak/break could destroy the wood floors, a disease could wipe out hundreds of dollars worth of fish, etc.

So... do the pros really outweigh the cons? Is there a satisfying middle ground?

(I really have spent countless hours reading through these forums, and I value everyone's advice a great deal.)

It was supposed to be so simple... I got a 5G kit for my desk. Just something pretty to look at while I work. Then the MTS set in big time.

I've spent every free moment the last several weeks researching fish, researching tanks, and measuring every conceivable surface in my house. I've also been spending enough time at two local fish stores that I get greeted by name.

That's exactly how I was when I first entered the hobby! :D Welcome!

Everyone says bigger is better. Fewer swings in water chemistry, more fish options, etc.
I agree with this statement wholeheartedly with the addendum that it's only easier if you're able to handle the water changes.

But the idea of setting something like that up is daunting.
Lack of confidence is a big road block in this hobby. A good friend of mine that entered the hobby is scared to try salt water or discus despite having kept a successful Mbuna tank running for years. She is experienced enough, but is letting her confidence get in her way.

There's the sheer cost of the tank and stand. And then the increased cost of stocking more/fancier fish. Not to mention plants and decor.

This is a problem, but if you keep an eye out on craigslist for equipment as well as bargain shop online you can get tank together much cheaper than if you went to petsmart to get everything.

But where I'm really concerned is figuring out more elaborate filtration systems and the like - it seems like a lot of tech (even with out Co2)

While people say a lot of big words to make themselves sound smart (I do this on occasion :whistle:) it's really not complicated at all. The filtration systems are all practically plug and play except for some of the exotic filters such as a sump or fluidized filter. I myself am a proponent of skipping canister filters and going with HOB filters instead. They are just much easier to work with imho.

Also, if there is a problem, seems like there's more opportunity for it to be catastrophic. A leak/break could destroy the wood floors, a disease could wipe out hundreds of dollars worth of fish, etc.

Those are all reasonable concerns

1. Tank Failure - This is so rare I've only ever actually seen it happen to one person. With 2 years on this forum and my post count as high as it is, that should say something as to how common of an occurrence this is. But yes, a tank failure carries a very very hefty price tag.
2. Fish disease - I honestly haven't had a problem with any disease in over a year. Most of them can be easily prevented by maintaining a low nitrate level. Ich is the most common disease which is simple to treat with nothing but heat. Yes, there is potential to lose a lot of money in fish, but start small with affordable hardy fish and work your way up.

So... do the pros really outweigh the cons? Is there a satisfying middle ground?

Imho, the pros absolutely outweigh the cons. My small tanks are honestly nowhere near as amusing as my larger tanks. It allows me to have more variety, more color, and more aquascaping variance.

I went from a 6 gallon to an 8 gallon to a 20 gallon and then finally my 75 gallon... Imagine all the money I would have saved just getting the 75!

There are a lot of good finds on Craigslist....

I was terrified of setting up a canister filter and turned out that it's super easy!

Obviously the water changes take more time but it's worth it. Keeping the water stable is way easier and your options in buying fish are much better...

Not to mention the space to be creative with your decorating ?

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly with the addendum that it's only easier if you're able to handle the water changes.

While people say a lot of big words to make themselves sound smart (I do this on occasion :whistle:) it's really not complicated at all. The filtration systems are all practically plug and play except for some of the exotic filters such as a sump or fluidized filter. I myself am a proponent of skipping canister filters and going with HOB filters instead. They are just much easier to work with imho.

Thank you so much! This does a lot to calm my fears. I hear so much about canister filters and sumps I hadn't even considered that an HOB filter would do the trick on that size tank, but I did some quick research and just found several options. That seems a great deal more manageable.

As for water changes, if I'm doing my math right I'd be hauling 2-3 buckets of water a week. The good news about the small house is that's a short trip to dump the water. It's a consideration to be sure, but not unmanageable.

It's not a choice to make lightly, so I'll be doing my research for a while. More thoughts, opinions, and considerations are very welcome.

See about a python for water changes, I don't have one myself but when I set my old 75g back up I plan on getting one, heard so many good things lol.

After years of fish keeping I prefer having a few big tanks than a bunch of smaller ones at this point for most of the reasons you stated. At this point the only reason I would get a small tank would be to have dwarf puffers or something with similar needs.

What fish are you interested in?

See about a python for water changes, I don't have one myself but when I set my old 75g back up I plan on getting one, heard so many good things lol.

After years of fish keeping I prefer having a few big tanks than a bunch of smaller ones at this point for most of the reasons you stated. At this point the only reason I would get a small tank would be to have dwarf puffers or something with similar needs.

What fish are you interested in?

Oh, wow. That's amazing. Looks a lot easier than hauling buckets.

As for fish, that's the question isn't it? ;)

Most of my research thus far has focused on smaller tanks, and I'd been thinking of the usual combinations of Gouarmi, some schooling fish, and some bottom dwellers.

I have one bn pleco that would likely make the move to the larger tank and I've had my eye on an albino longfin bn pleco too.

I love odd fish and fish with big personalities.

Angelfish are beautiful, of course, as are so many other semi-aggressive fish, but I have little patience for bullies and I worry about managing potential fights between fish, so I think I'll focus on largely peaceful species.

I've also been researching paludariums for a while and would love to incorporate something like that to some extent.

I applaud you for doing your research. Lots of pros for larger tanks. Smaller tanks may work for you if your goal is species only (assuming the needs of the fish are met). The paludarium sounds cool.
I have a pair of 20 longs. Had larger tanks before. Yeah, there are limits to number and types of fish/plants. But this works for me. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I applaud you for doing your research. Lots of pros for larger tanks. Smaller tanks may work for you if your goal is species only (assuming the needs of the fish are met). The paludarium sounds cool.
I have a pair of 20 longs. Had larger tanks before. Yeah, there are limits to number and types of fish/plants. But this works for me. Good luck!

Thanks!

What made you decide to move to smaller tanks?

I know how you feel with being greeted by name! That's me at my LFS hahaha. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Bigger is definitely better! I'd suggest starting out with something a bit less than 55. I've got a 36 gallon along with my 5 gallon and find that it cures my MTS for now... Lol. Filtration is not really that much difficult. Pros definitely outweigh the cons. Less maintenance too. You should go for it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also I agree with everyone about Craigslist. I saved so much money by getting a used tank and stand for a bargain. Yeah it needed some tlc and there are a few bonbons but definitely worth the price I paid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks!

What made you decide to move to smaller tanks?

I sold my tanks and cabinets prior to moving and got out of the hobby for a short while. Bought a 33 hex but found the dimensions awkward. Gave that away and found the 20 long had a great footprint per volume. Ideal for a planted tank as the shallow depth maximizes light penetration. The overall dimensions of the tank/stand is small enough to work with for a home office or bedroom.
Being such a small volume, maintenance is not bad (doing the 5g pail). Yeah, it takes some consideration with stocking and planning.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I started off small, never had anything more than a 10 gallon. My husband then got me a 35 gallon for free. Of course I loved it, then I got a 5 gallon to go on my counter top.

I had the 35 for a little over a year, sadly do to it's funky shape (it was an acrylic one) it was difficult finding a spot for it. I wanted to go bigger, plus I wanted more fish. I was slightly over stocked in the 35 but kept up on maintenance.

I love having a 75g. I love getting a variety of fish, also it was not super expensive. Although I don't have live plants so that helped with cost also I did not buy a stand. I have it on something we already owned, although my husband is building me a stand.

I would say bigger is better if you have the room, if you don't have the room then get what you can.

If you have space issues get a corner tank.. They do make good sized tanks that that don't take up an entire wall. I have 3 myself. My hexagon is a 27g tank that's 25 inches tall but only 18 inches wide on each side . I have had it for like 15 years now. The other tank I have is an actual corner tank a 44g pentagon, and then I have my 92g Bowfront corner tank. The 44g pentagon is only 30 inches long, but 24 inches tall and depth front to back.. My 92g is 48 inches long, 25 inches tall and 34 inches front to back.. Its as long as a 55/75/90G tank, but because its a corner tank it technicaly doesn't take up an entire wall like a normal 55-75-90g does..

They have many other kinds of tanks like this with varying size, like 54g corner tanks, or tall collum tanks, and different sized hexagon tanks..

Also someone mentioned using a 5 gallon bucket to change water... Just go to lowes or home depot buy yourself some 3/8 or 1/2 vynal tubing, get like 50 feet of it... Then take your normal vacuum attachment and use that to change water, pull the hose out your front door or in the sink or bath tub... Get an attachment from the plumbing section to refill the water from your sink.. No buckets... Easy.. and cheaper then buying the same thing in the petstore for $50

Also just go on craigslist and look for used tanks.. All of my bigger tanks cept the 27g and 30g are used tanks.. Find one that still has water in it or was just recently emptied.. Not one that has been sitting dry for years.. I found my 92g bow corner tank on craigslist for $250.. Stand included.. Do you know how much a new 92g corner tank is ? For one they don't sell em in stores anymore, and if you order online they are easily $700-800

Thank you so much to everyone who has chimed in so far. This is making me feel a lot better about the idea of going bigger.

I've also been looking at potential stock lists, which is exciting. Looking at maybe a few angels, a school of cardinal tetras, my current bn with an albino friend, and then maybe a gourami or two if possible?

So many considerations!!!

Bigger is definitely better! I'd suggest starting out with something a bit less than 55. I've got a 36 gallon along with my 5 gallon and find that it cures my MTS for now... Lol. Filtration is not really that much difficult. Pros definitely outweigh the cons. Less maintenance too. You should go for it!

Chels - why do you think a little less than a 55 would be better?

I dunno why starting off less than 55g is important.. I mean me personally my first tank was the 27g hexagon my mom got me when I was 15. However our familys first tank was the 30g tank we have.. Its still running too I have African Ciclids in it its over 20 years old now.

Personally owning 9 fish tanks myself. I don't like smaller tanks anymore. I have a feeling if you got a 20 or 30g tank youd get bored of it.. Plus with the larger tanks you have much less maintenance to worry about.. When I had my discus in my 44g pentagon I had to change the water every 2 days it was annoying. To keep nitrates below 20.. With my 92g tank, I can go 4 days easy without worrying about nitrates going above 20ppm

The 5g and 10g tanks I have meh.. Im considering putting them on craigslist and getting rid of them. And my 30g and 27g tanks, Only reason I keep them running is sentimental reasons. The 55G tank I like still, but I must say when I first got it.. after like 5-6 months I wanted something bigger, I don't like how narrow the 55g tank is.. Meaning the depth front to back.. Its like 13 inches which is too small.. A 75g makes it bigger sure but still.. Then I found my love for corner tanks.. They aren't quite as long as rectangle tanks, but I like how much depth (front to back) these tanks have.. If you saw my 92g corner tank you'd love it.. Its certainly much more impressive then a 75-90g tank. Im 6 foot tall and even I cant reach the back even standing in front on my tippy toes.. I cant reach the back of the tank. :)

Lots of good info here. I'll add that Western Oregon is a great place for many of the South American genera that really like our soft water (rams, apistos, tetras, pencilfish, hatchets, corys, plecos, etc.). You could do at least two species in a 29 or 20 long (and still several options for a 20 high).

Regarding the labor of water-changing, one five-gallon bucket change per week should be sufficient for a 20-gallon tank (unless you're doing GBRs, in which case you're looking at maybe two five-gallon changes per week).

If you want to do two or more angels, you'll probably want a 36 gallon or larger and make sure that the tank is at least 18" tall.

I'll add that Western Oregon is a great place for many of the South American genera that really like our soft water (rams, apistos, tetras, pencilfish, hatchets, corys, plecos, etc.). You could do at least two species in a 29 or 20 long (and still several options for a 20 high).

If you want to do two or more angels, you'll probably want a 36 gallon or larger and make sure that the tank is at least 18" tall.

Thank you for that! Yeah, the water here is so soft it doesn't seem to even register on the test strips. I was a little worried about that, at least for the shrimp. It's good to know so many desirable fish will feel right at home.

As for the angels, looks like the Aqueon (the one I've been using for reference) 55G is 21 inches tall. So hopefully that would be okay for Angels if I go that route.

As for the comments about depth, I've considered that too... a 75 would be same length but more depth, but I'm not sure I can get away with that in the space I'm considering. But who knows, maybe I'll think of a way to make it work.

I say that less than a 55 is better for a first "big" tank because you don't have to change so much water out. It could take a couple of hours out of your day just to do a deep cleaning. Also there is the space issue. That was a big deal for me. But I agree about corner tanks. The only problem with those is the surface area of the water. It would be less oxygenated and would not be the best for live plants as the light penetration would be less. And the bigger the filter you have the more expensive replacement filters will be. Also there is a space and price issue. IMO. But, definitely look at used tanks. With a little tlc they will look brand new. But 55gal gives you a lot more fish options. Going from a 5 gal to a 55 gal could be a little tough so you might want to start off with like a 35 or a 40 just to get a hang of the maintenance. Although, if you do want to go as big as you can right away and can handle the maintenance I say go for it. It would probably save you money in the long run. There are pros in cons. The size really does not make much of a difference, so no it's not that important. Choosing what you want should be up to you. For me personally I didn't think I was ready for the transition from a 5 gal to something much bigger. But now that I have something bigger I love it! So much less work and so much more rewarding than a tiny little 5 or 10 gal. The only fish I feel like I can fit in the 5 gal is my betta!! The price was also an issue for me. That is probably my biggest reason for saying to do less than a 55. If you have the money to spend go for it! Do what you think is best. :) Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom