Is carbon bag filtration neccassary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read the bags only last about two weeks, so I was wondering if carbon is even worth it? I read it can do more damage then good sometimes. I also use purigen, and biomax in my filter box. What do you guys think?

I read the bags only last about two weeks, so I was wondering if carbon is even worth it? I read it can do more damage then good sometimes. I also use purigen, and biomax in my filter box. What do you guys think?

Well many people chose not to use carbon, but I always like to use it. Carbon removes things such as discoloration and odors etc. If you were to use any fish medications the carbon will filter out the medicine so that would be bad, but other than that I personally see no reason not to use it.

About it only lasting two weeks I've had the same bag for about a month or so and haven't had need to replace it, but I probably should sometime soon.

Unless you're trying to do something specific with it (remove discoloration from tannins, remove medicines after treatment) I really don't see any reason to have it in your filter. I always have a few bags on hand if I need it, but otherwise I use the extra space for more filter pads.

Back
Top Bottom