Is carbon really useless?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carbon can increase your GH so in some cases like Discus carbon in your filter or shells in your tank because the discus prefer a softer water with less mineral content. Where Africans like harder water and can have things like shells of carbon In the filters.

Never heard of that can i get at a LFS?
You might at the larger ones but i think it's cheaper online. It's very cheap either way and can be re-charged and used over and over. It's extremely popular stuff and i swear by it. Google it, you'll struggle to find any bad reports. While your at it, check out Seachem Matrix, another great American product!!
PS....Purigen is also made by Seachem....

You might at the larger ones but i think it's cheaper online. It's very cheap either way and can be re-charged and used over and over. It's extremely popular stuff and i swear by it. Google it, you'll struggle to find any bad reports. While your at it, check out Seachem Matrix, another great American product!!

I also swear by it! It's in every tank I have. Which are all planted. I dose with dry fertz so I can't use carbon because it would remove them. Purigen doesn't remove the fertz. Totally awesome product!

Last edited:
I only use it for Meds or Odour removal. I prefer Purigen to polish my water....

Ditto on the Purigen. It's a little costly but worth it. Has anyone renewed it using bleach? I haven't dared yet.

Sometimes I use activated carbon if the filter smells stinky. It helps with odor control.

Ian thanks bro really, im going online to dr foster now and phishfriend thxs for the added info you guys are great help

Ditto on the Purigen. It's a little costly but worth it. Has anyone renewed it using bleach? I haven't dared yet.

Sometimes I use activated carbon if the filter smells stinky. It helps with odor control.
Yeah, i've re-charged it. Simple, no problems. I have two at the moment, a spare, so when i'm re-charging, i just swapping them... There is a chemical to remove the chlorine after the bleaching. Save's your Prime which is VERY expensive for me, i have to import it!!. I'll have a look for the name and post it later....

Yeah have several times. Look it up on YouTube. There is a guy that does a full walk thru of the re-gen process.

I swear by Purigen, and recharge it every 6 months in bleach. Never had a problem so long as you use the Prime to clean it up after the bleach treatment. Follow the directions and you'll be golden.

Matrix is also excellent for bio-filtration.

I swear by Purigen, and recharge it every 6 months in bleach. Never had a problem so long as you use the Prime to clean it up after the bleach treatment. Follow the directions and you'll be golden.

Matrix is also excellent for bio-filtration.
+1 on the Matrix

Back
Top Bottom