Is CLR safe to clean tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReneeMarie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! As you may know, I recently upsized my tanks and am now getting rid of my two 55's. I need to clean them up before selling (hard water and lime stains/deposits etc) and I wondered if anyone has ever used CLR? I did buy two big jugs of vinegar but someone at work suggested CLR might work better. I don't know if it has the potential to leach harmful chems into the silicone though. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Renée

I've never tried to use it so I can't really speak to that part. I've never needed anything stronger than vinegar even when cleaning coraline covered reef tanks. For tough spots, soak a paper towel in vinegar and lay it on the spot. 30 minutes or so later, the stuff should simply wipe away.

I looked up the MSDS on CLR and didn't see any obvious red flags, but I would still stick with white vinegar. It's just not worth the risk.

Better safe than sorry

I think I'm going to just stick to good ol acetic acid! I did some more research and read some other peoples' experiences, one of whom lost everything in the tank thereafter. That said, there will be no CLR used here!

Back
Top Bottom