Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2014, 11:23 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
The blue green algae or Cyanobacteria isn't harmful to fish. It's primarily photosynthetic and non infectious. Its most commonly caused by poor water parameters which is the most likely cause of your fishes death. Basically keep your tank clean and you won't have an issue with it.
Partially right, partially wrong... If you do your research, starting at Wikipedia as usual, you'll find that some strains of cyanobacteria are beneficial, but some produce toxins that can be a problem to fish, plants, or even people.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:03 AM   #12
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba rust View Post
I think green algae, like you see in rivers, looks cool. Would having some in my aquarium have any negative effects on it?

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Negative affects? No, as the stuff you see growing on rocks in river may be moss or it may be harmless algae. All part of a completely natural ecosystem. There honestly is nothing harmful to fish from either although many aquarium owners may find 'true' algae types such as hair algae unsightly and it can be detrimental to aquatic plants.

Cyanobacteria are not a 'true' algae in the sense the OP is inquiring about but rather a photosynthetic bacteria that are capable of acquiring energy from light. Not all of cyano is bad either but some strains are capable of producing toxins that can have damaging or even lethal effects to many creatures that encounter it.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:26 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
Negative affects? No, as the stuff you see growing on rocks in river may be moss or it may be harmless algae. All part of a completely natural ecosystem. There honestly is nothing harmful to fish from either although many aquarium owners may find 'true' algae types such as hair algae unsightly and it can be detrimental to aquatic plants.

Cyanobacteria are not a 'true' algae in the sense the OP is inquiring about but rather a photosynthetic bacteria that are capable of acquiring energy from light. Not all of cyano is bad either but some strains are capable of producing toxins that can have damaging or even lethal effects to many creatures that encounter it.
Oh OK. Thanks and how could it be detrimental to plants?

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Algae competes with plants for the same nutrients, and being smaller and simpler, it adjusts more quickly. As I stated earlier, I would let it grow and get something to feed off of it for control.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Cyano in the right conditions can spread quickly and smother plants. Though I have no evidence to support that this is detrimental to plant growth, I would think that anything that would restrict light and cover foliage would be considered negative. Fortunately cyano is easy to remove and treat.

I have a very small pond outside and green algae appears as long strands near the waterfall and along most of the surfaces. It grows on plants that are not actively growing. It provides a very natural look. The way I see it, it is consuming nutrients that otherwise would feed a more noxious type of algae such as floating, single cell types.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm finding cyano to be a PITA to treat. I'd take "true" algae any day. The strain I've gotten also is very infectious to plants. Fortunately, actinic blue lighting gives my plants an advantage to spring back.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectraplayer View Post
I'm finding cyano to be a PITA to treat. I'd take "true" algae any day. The strain I've gotten also is very infectious to plants. Fortunately, actinic blue lighting gives my plants an advantage to spring back.

Okay, maybe not that easy. Lots of siphoning and about a week's worth of erythromycin. Had it for months; did not know what it was. Has been gone after treatment (knock on wood).
Old 05-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Moss Balls are a type of Algae that is safe and looks nice in the tank

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Okay, maybe not that easy. Lots of siphoning and about a week's worth of erythromycin. Had it for months; did not know what it was. Has been gone after treatment (knock on wood).
I seem to have to recycle my tank afterwards as the erythromycin also puts it on my beneficial bacteria.

Tags
algae, green, green algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com