Is green algae bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubba rust

Aquarium Advice Regular
I think green algae, like you see in rivers, looks cool. Would having some in my aquarium have any negative effects on it?

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's the answer for your green algae:

Blue-Green, also known as Slime or Smear algae – Caused by excesses of nitrates and phosphates, this is actually not an algae at all. Instead it is a cyanobacteria. It can spread rapidly, and can cause considerable damage. Good water care will help, but if your water source has phosphates in it, you may have to use special treatments to remove the excess nutrients. Erythromycin is also effective against Blue-Green algae.

How to Control Aquarium Algae

Algae uses co2 and produces o2. Same as other plants. O2 is good for your fish.

I think if you like the effect it gives then go for it

There's no real problems associated with algae growth, it can just be unsightly. Some types can have a detrimental effect on plants though.

The blue-green algae (which looks like the mutagenic ooze on Ninja Turtles) will quickly slime everything in the tank. It WON'T stay pretty. I would get rid of that as I've lost fish and plants to it.

"Regular" green algae (like hair algae) is good. Get an otto cat to control it but don't try to kill it.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

The blue-green algae (which looks like the mutagenic ooze on Ninja Turtles) will quickly slime everything in the tank. It WON'T stay pretty. I would get rid of that as I've lost fish and plants to it.

"Regular" green algae (like hair algae) is good. Get an otto cat to control it but don't try to kill it.

The blue green algae or Cyanobacteria isn't harmful to fish. It's primarily photosynthetic and non infectious. Its most commonly caused by poor water parameters which is the most likely cause of your fishes death. Basically keep your tank clean and you won't have an issue with it.

Thanks for the info guys :) but I am talking about the green hair like algae. Is there anything I should watch out for if I do keep it?

I would go for an aquatic moss over an algae. Similar visual features while actually being a plant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The blue green algae or Cyanobacteria isn't harmful to fish. It's primarily photosynthetic and non infectious. Its most commonly caused by poor water parameters which is the most likely cause of your fishes death. Basically keep your tank clean and you won't have an issue with it.

Partially right, partially wrong... If you do your research, starting at Wikipedia as usual, you'll find that some strains of cyanobacteria are beneficial, but some produce toxins that can be a problem to fish, plants, or even people. :fish2:

I think green algae, like you see in rivers, looks cool. Would having some in my aquarium have any negative effects on it?

Negative affects? No, as the stuff you see growing on rocks in river may be moss or it may be harmless algae. All part of a completely natural ecosystem. There honestly is nothing harmful to fish from either although many aquarium owners may find 'true' algae types such as hair algae unsightly and it can be detrimental to aquatic plants.

Cyanobacteria are not a 'true' algae in the sense the OP is inquiring about but rather a photosynthetic bacteria that are capable of acquiring energy from light. Not all of cyano is bad either but some strains are capable of producing toxins that can have damaging or even lethal effects to many creatures that encounter it.

Negative affects? No, as the stuff you see growing on rocks in river may be moss or it may be harmless algae. All part of a completely natural ecosystem. There honestly is nothing harmful to fish from either although many aquarium owners may find 'true' algae types such as hair algae unsightly and it can be detrimental to aquatic plants.

Cyanobacteria are not a 'true' algae in the sense the OP is inquiring about but rather a photosynthetic bacteria that are capable of acquiring energy from light. Not all of cyano is bad either but some strains are capable of producing toxins that can have damaging or even lethal effects to many creatures that encounter it.

Oh OK. Thanks :) and how could it be detrimental to plants?

Algae competes with plants for the same nutrients, and being smaller and simpler, it adjusts more quickly. As I stated earlier, I would let it grow and get something to feed off of it for control.

Cyano in the right conditions can spread quickly and smother plants. Though I have no evidence to support that this is detrimental to plant growth, I would think that anything that would restrict light and cover foliage would be considered negative. Fortunately cyano is easy to remove and treat.

I have a very small pond outside and green algae appears as long strands near the waterfall and along most of the surfaces. It grows on plants that are not actively growing. It provides a very natural look. The way I see it, it is consuming nutrients that otherwise would feed a more noxious type of algae such as floating, single cell types.

I'm finding cyano to be a PITA to treat. I'd take "true" algae any day. The strain I've gotten also is very infectious to plants. Fortunately, actinic blue lighting gives my plants an advantage to spring back.

I'm finding cyano to be a PITA to treat. I'd take "true" algae any day. The strain I've gotten also is very infectious to plants. Fortunately, actinic blue lighting gives my plants an advantage to spring back.

Okay, maybe not that easy. Lots of siphoning and about a week's worth of erythromycin. Had it for months; did not know what it was. Has been gone after treatment (knock on wood).

Okay, maybe not that easy. Lots of siphoning and about a week's worth of erythromycin. Had it for months; did not know what it was. Has been gone after treatment (knock on wood).

I seem to have to recycle my tank afterwards as the erythromycin also puts it on my beneficial bacteria. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom