Is hot melt glue ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MSU Fan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I realize that silicone is the optimal choice, but does anyone know if there are any known issues with using regular Wal*Mart version hot melt glue sticks to stick rocks to fake plants? Does it mess with the water chemistry? Is it ok for the fishies?

Can't say for sure either way honestly.

But my approach to every tank is conservative.To put it another way,I try to err on the side of caution.

Unless you can know with absolution its harmless...then don't risk it at all imo....very little upside,huge downside potential kind of thing me thinks.

I myself have never used it. But a friend of mine did to stick a peice of slate to some driftwood. It didn't hurt his fish at all. I whath his tank for a good month looking for signs of anything . But never seen anything come of it. It been over a year and it's still in there.

I used hot glue in my tank to put a "flow restrictor" of sorts on my AquaClear 70. It's been there for two months now, submersed in water, and it hasn't shown any signs of budging.

As background for why I have it there, my filters (I have two on my 55 gal. tank) are hung on the sides of the tank because of the enclosure they're in. The AquaClear was flowing so much water my fish would spend most of their time hiding because of the strong current. This seems to have resolved it as they all spend much more time out of hiding than they ever did before.

I've used hot glue to fix holes in an ornament after we had to break part of it to get stupid fish that got stuck and died in it -.-; never hurt anyone and didn't come off yet...

Back
Top Bottom