Is Isshi-Fisshi okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitto-chi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I don't know what kind of fish he is...I got him at pets mart in January and in December I got two others as birthday preasents and bought a 5-10 gallon thank for them so they could live a happier life than in a little dinky bowl.. they've been happy enough in the time I've had with them but yesterday morning I awoke to feed them and I found Isshi-Fisshi whose color had recently changed from a dark brown to bright shiny orange's fins edges seeming white and tattered!

I wasn't quite sure what it was I've heard that Ick was a popular fish desiese so I googled it and whe spots didnt seem the same, I found the gallery of this site and was informed of fin rot which is what I'm afraid he might have if any of you could provide an answere and reccomend types of medication I would be EXTREEMELY grateful! Here's a pic of him and his fins to help:

img_452612_0_417a5a43f1c1c2d6ee212c6e5031349b.jpg

That looks like a fan-tailed fancy goldfish.. they really need 10+gallons for each fish (for fancy goldfish) it looks like the fins are a little roughed up but if there isnt anything fuzzy like growth from the dammage its likey no biggy.. Im not so sure about the white spot that looks to be either a bump on the head or something in the background of the picture.. if its just the fins your conserned about give then a close look over and if nothing seems to be growing from the dammaged areas then they are just damaged fins.. they might grow back then again they might not..

The first thing I am going to recommend is to get a water test kit. Test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates as soon as you can. Most likely a water issue. Unhealthy water causes stress and can cause fin rot as well as other problems. As soon as you can do that post the parameters here. If you can't get a kit, take some water to a lfs and see if they will test it for you. How often do you do water changes? I would do a pwc as soon as possible. You have come to the right place for help, and education. I can't really tell from the pics if it is fin rot or not. Have all of your fish been living peacefully together or has there been some aggression between them?

Zagz said:
The first thing I am going to recommend is to get a water test kit. Test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates as soon as you can. Most likely a water issue. Unhealthy water causes stress and can cause fin rot as well as other problems. As soon as you can do that post the parameters here. If you can't get a kit, take some water to a lfs and see if they will test it for you. How often do you do water changes? I would do a pwc as soon as possible. You have come to the right place for help, and education. I can't really tell from the pics if it is fin rot or not. Have all of your fish been living peacefully together or has there been some aggression between them?

I generally do a pwc once every month or once every month and a half. As far as I've seen there hasn't been any agression between them, It would be pretty hard for me to miss since their tank is right next to my computer. Thankyou so much for the advise I hadn't even thought of taking some water to the local pet store and I will do that right away. I'm just wondering If I should change my water now or wait until after I get the test results? (it has been about a month since I last changed it) Thank you again for these helpful tips!

greenmagi said:
Im not so sure about the white spot that looks to be either a bump on the head or something in the background of the picture..

Those have been there since I bought Isshi-Fisshi they seem to be just decoration or posibly somthing for his respatory I'm not sure but they haven't caused a problem.

And then take the changed water to the pet store? or should I take a sample out now for the store to check and then change the water?

Zagz said:
Take a sample from it now to lfs. That way you know what you were dealing with.

Okay ^^ thank you so much for helping me out your advice is really useful <33

I just go around to changing the water about a half hour ago, my fish seem happier, I hope this brings an end to isshi's fin problem I took a sample of water but I cant get to the store right now because there's noone to take me x-x;

I change the water at least weekly... monthly is really not a good idea unless you have very few fish and alot of healthy live plants(with appropriate lighting for the plants).HTH

greenmagi said:
I change the water at least weekly... monthly is really not a good idea unless you have very few fish and alot of healthy live plants(with appropriate lighting for the plants).HTH

waah ^^;;;; i only have 3 fish and no live plants ^^;; im a beginner through and through ^^;

Back
Top Bottom