Is it a tear, or fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldfishNewbie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I have a common pleco in a 50 gal tank (He's going to be traded for a smaller algae eater once my pet store orders a bristlenose, but he's only 2 inches right now) anyways I've been watching him and just today I noticed like a single poke through his tail fin... no bigger than like... a millimeter around, its just a tiny hole in basically the center of the tail... could that just somehow be from a tear even though I dont have any sharp decorations? or could fin rot start in the middle of the tail, looking just like a tiny hole?

What color is the edge around the hole. Fin rot tends to look white and some cases, yes it could start in the middle. I've boggled my mind today searching through every information I've found on fin rot. I'm trying to see if one of my guppies has it. The only thing to do is keep checking it to see if it gets better or worse.

I had this happen to one of my sailfin plecos a long time ago. The hole was pretty small too. It was gone within a week on it's own. I think it's a tear. Keep an eye on it. Hopefully it doesn't get any bigger and starts closing up in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom